Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: loose stool/diarrhea  (Read 3939 times)

mbaker1238

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
loose stool/diarrhea
« on: February 19, 2009, 04:12:48 PM »

I've had my chinchilla (maisy) for about 3 weeks now. she's 5 months old. I've been giving her only one raisin a night and feeding her mazuri pellets along w/ timothy hay. just the other night i noticed that she had her poop smeared all over her shelves and they were very mushy. she's very active still, eating well. i havent given her raisins since but her stool is still very soft and is slimy. i know that sounds gross. what should i do?

also i did just transfer her over into her chinchilla mansion, could it be stress?

Morgan

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: loose stool/diarrhea
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 07:09:17 PM »

Hi, You did the right thing. Take her pellets out and just feed her her hay, burn some toast, wheat toast if you have it. You need to burn the toast black and feed her small pieces.If you type in mushy poop or diarrhea you will find lots of help on this forum. That should help. If it keeps up call a vet. Good luck Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

mbaker1238

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 07:31:48 PM »

thanks...i tried the toast thing and she wont touch it. what about shredded wheat?

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 07:34:59 AM »

Plain spoon-size shredded wheat might help as well.  Diahrrea can be caused by stress, sudden change in diet, or more seriously, Giardia.  If the diahrrea continues for more than a couple of days, or she stops eating, drinking, or pooping, you need to take her to a vet.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 10:29:29 AM »

Yes I find if it's slimy it usually means giardia. Especially if nothing has changed in the diet. Though I never give raisins to a chin under 6 months, and rarely feed them at all.
Go for papaya or craison for fruit treats, and give a pinch of oatmeal with it. Or any of the dry unsweetened cereals.It seems to counterate the effects of the raisins. I only feed raisins when dropping are small and hard. They do indeed make a great laxative.
Sunflower seeds seem have no effect on their droppings, so maybe it's just a matter of changing treats, while some can toterate raisins some seem to get soft with just a few.
Debbie.nl.ca

mbaker1238

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 03:55:28 PM »

thanks for all the help. i've been watching her and she seems better today. poop is back to normal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up