Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worried chinie owner  (Read 3167 times)

twylitestar20002

• Appreciation points: 0
  • My lil man Chico Chalupa!! (almost lol)
    • View Profile
Worried chinie owner
« on: February 16, 2009, 11:15:19 PM »

Well i have had my lil man (Chico ) for 2 years now and the other day he had a seizure. Tonight he also had a seizure as well. Both times i had recently givin him a dandelion drop treat. But i have given him these treats a million times over and he has never had a seizure. Im thinking maybe he gained an allergy of sorts to the treat. but its just a thought. If anyone has any thoughts on this issue please let me know

Also Chico has always just seems to pull all his hay out of its net and play with it never really eat it. Does anyone else have that issue. Cuz i thought chins main diet is suppose to be hay yet he eats mainly pellets.

thankyou
Danyale

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Worried chinie owner
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 07:07:04 AM »

Only thing I can answer in this post is perhaps the diet question. I recently got a new chin. My other chin eats more pellets than grass. Infact I end up wasting alot of grass with her  rofl Now the new chin seems to prefer grass. He eats way more grass than the kibble. I end up wasting kibble with him.  ;D It just seems like each chin is different like that.

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:29:57 AM »

Hi, I would get rid of the dandelion treats. I was giving my Peaka those treats and he started having very soft poo and I would give him burnt toast and just his hay and it would go away. Then I would give him the dandelion treat again and again its soft poo. So after some time of this I looked on the forum about the dandelion treats and found out that they are bad for the chins. I don't know about seizures but getting rid of the dandelion treats might help. I feed my two chins some dried chopped apples  with a shredded wheat. Some times they get dried papaya too. Sorry that I wasn't more helpfull. Good luck  Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 07:32:38 PM »

Hi, Hows your chin doing?
 Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 08:33:56 AM »

Seizures can have a number of causes, including a lack of calcium, overheating, head injury...the list goes on.  The first thing I would do is check his teeth to make sure they are the proper color.  They should be a deep orange-yellow color, if they are whitish in color then he is not getting enough calcium.  Try giving him a Tums with calcium tablet once a week to boost his calcium levels.  Also, try to remember, when he seized before were his ears red, which would indicate he was overheated?  Sometimes a chinchilla will play too hard and get themselves overheated to the point of exhaustion and sometimes seizures.  Other causes would need to be determined by the vet.  That's all I can offer.  Maybe someone else knows of other possibilities.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 10:17:52 AM »

Abby covered most, I do have a chin that has seizure when he gets excited, but he had a head injury as a kit. He's 10 now and doing fine.

I did have one over heat and have a seizure also, he later developed malocclusion and I had him put down.
Seizures are not good.
I would get him check by a good vet.
Debbie.nl.ca

twylitestar20002

• Appreciation points: 0
  • My lil man Chico Chalupa!! (almost lol)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 11:53:50 PM »

Well i do know that both times he hadnt over exerted him self ... unforunetly i wasnt able to get him out that day due to work and school so he was just relaxin so i gave him a treat and he started to seize up and tried to walk down his shelves (which scared the heck out of me)... but i will deff check his teeth...

And if anyone knows that seizures are not good i do (im eplieptic...with peititmal seizures my self) so i know they are pretty serious stuff. I just hate to think my lil guy has to deal with the same stuff i do.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 10:34:33 AM »

he was just relaxin so i gave him a treat and he started to seize up

Hmmmmm I wonder if chins can have allergies"????? just a thought as I read.

Ya learn something new everyday with chinchillas, no matter how long we've had them. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up