Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help?!?!  (Read 2082 times)

andymilo

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
help?!?!
« on: January 30, 2009, 05:56:11 PM »

hi everyone...this is my first time posting on this forum :)!! i am the proud parent of a baby chinchilla for almost 2 months now....when I bought him I was told he was a boy...after the lady turned him over, glanced, and said "it's a boy"....i have done a lot of reading that many times they are not properly sexed as male/female genitalia are very similar...i have tried to look online for pictures and I have tried to figure out myself...this reason I am posting is because I tried to do a ring check and I was very unsuccessful....I don't want to try again in fear that it will cause pain or damage...Also by looking at pictures online I am having doubts that he is in fact a boy....the genitalia can be best described as cone shaped and small...I do not see any slits...I know that there is suppose to be separation between the anus and cone in a male...but I'm not sure how far apart is accurate...any help is appreciated...i took some pics...they are not the best..but it was the best i good do...thanks :)

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Re: help?!?!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 12:41:55 PM »

Looks like a girl to me but there is a bit of a shadow. What you want to look for is whether there is a gap between the 'cone' and the 'hole'. :)
If there is a gap then he is a boy but if there isn't then she's a girl. It looks like there isn't a gap, but if she's quite young it can be hard to tell. That's just my opinion.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 09:50:16 AM »

::silly::   From what I can see in the picture, it looks like a female chinchilla.

On rare occasions, a male can be so small that it looks like a female, but you should be able to tell the difference by the time it is 6 weeks old ... I think you said you have had yours at least 2 months, so, it should be a minimum of 4 months old at this time.

::wave::  Jo Ann

The kits below are less than 1 week old.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 09:55:21 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

andymilo

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 02:01:33 PM »

he is about 7 months...and there is a separation between the anus and the cone...i know that is required for a male...but it is not as far separated as pictures i have seen of adult chinnies...at 7 months is he considered an adult? also the cone is very small...and pointy towards the end...i don't know if this helps...the reason I am so confused is because by looking at pictures my little baby looks like he is inbetween a guy and a girl lol...if that makes any sense?

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 06:14:35 PM »

That really looks like a female. at 7 months they are pretty much almost fully grown.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up