Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sick chin :((please help ASAP)  (Read 8441 times)

eringoesmoo

• Appreciation points: 2
  • RIP Lollita
    • View Profile
Sick chin :((please help ASAP)
« on: December 13, 2008, 09:20:03 PM »

Ok, so I had a chinchilla die last Friday(this is Similar to how she died) Now, I have one very sick. We took him to the vet yesterday and she put him on three medicines which we have given him. He had REALLY bad diarrhea, but now we think he is constipated. He hasn't pooped since yesterday. A few minutes ago it looked like his intestines were coming out his rectum, it was red and round, but we pushed it back in. It's 10 pm here so the only place open is the emergency vet and their exotics person isn't in until 11. What do you guys thinK?

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
Re: Sick chin :((please help ASAP)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 04:44:04 AM »

What you saw is called a prolapse.  It can happen if a chin is straining to poop.  You need to get your boy to the vet right away.  He may have a bowel blockage, which is life threatening.  Please let us know what happens.

eringoesmoo

• RIP Lollita
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 07:53:49 AM »

Sorry for taking so long to reply, we took him to the vet around 1 am because it happened again(except worse), so the vet gave him anesthesia and put his intestines back in. He also put some kind of stitch in? I have had to stay up with him all night to make sure he doesn't pull it out, but he seems to be doing okay.It's about my mom's turn to watch him, but i'll try to keep you updated! Thanks!

mylittlechinchilla

• Robbie
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Tennessee Chinchilla Rescue
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 09:02:23 AM »

Is there any 'new' changes that could be causing this?  Changes in food or anything?

eringoesmoo

• RIP Lollita
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 09:27:55 AM »

Well no, but the anti-diarrehal(sp?) is what made him constipated hence causing the prolapse. As far as what gave him diarrhea we aren't sure. The first vet that gave us the medicine said that it could be Giardia since Lollita died of similar symtoms. She tested for that, but she said she couldn't tell for sure because Giardia is hard to find, so she said that the medicine would take care of that to, but as far as diet goes there shouldn't be anything that would cause him diarhea or constipation.

mylittlechinchilla

• Robbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 09:30:42 AM »

I just took ina rescue who had the same issues, he had diarreah then had trouble pooping.  He was given a 10 day supply of antibiotics and cream, he is fully recovered and will be adopted soon.

Does he still have loose poops?

eringoesmoo

• RIP Lollita
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 02:53:25 PM »

Aw, that's good, that makes me feel more hopeful :)

He hasn't been pooping since yesterday morning but he does hae a brownish discharge that LOOKS like diarrhea, but it's really hard to tell right now.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 05:09:56 AM »

::silly::    To properly test for Giardia ... the microscope and slides should be sit-up ahead of time ... the moment the chinchilla's poop drops, it needs to be put on a wet slide and placed under the microscope.  To be able to see the Giardia protozoa, it must be tested within 2 minutes of dropping (before it becomes cold).

Giardia is highly contagious.  The cage and everything in it needs to be kept extremely clean until you are sure there is no more problem.  Giardia is passed from a sick chin to a healthy chin when the healthy chin steps on a sick chin's poop or by eating it ... OR by a person passing it from one chinchilla to another, by handling the sick chin and not sanitizing their hands and clothing before handling a chinchilla that is not sick.

You might want to go to: http://www.geocities.com/jobernstein1949/  and read the two articles on Giardia and Don't Let the Cure Kill Your Chinchilla.

Giardia will often cause dehydration, causing constipation also.  If your chin has Giardia and took an anti diarrhea medication ... it got a double dose of constipation.

I always give acidophilus or live culture yogurt to any of my chins on any kind of medication.  These should be given half-way between (at least 3 hours apart) doses of other medications.

Normally, I say NO NUTS ... BUT ... when constipation occurs ... an almond often works to help the chin get going again.  Why take the change of giving it a nut?  Because when a chins digestive system shuts down, death is usually not far away.

Keep a close eye on this chin, once prolapsed has occurred, it can easily re-occur.  The stitch it to help prevent this.  The brownish discharge could be diarrhea or could be a small amount of blood.  Keep a close eye and keep the vet up-to-date on that and anything else that is not "normal" for this chin.

::wave::     Jo Ann
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 05:16:36 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

mylittlechinchilla

• Robbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 06:21:22 AM »

Jo Ann, I read that HUGE article on Giargia last night.  It was very interesting!

eringoesmoo

• RIP Lollita
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 07:31:51 AM »

Jo Ann, thank you so much, your post has helped a lot. I am supposed to be going to the vet in an hour or so to get the stitches looked at and possibly removed. As far as Giardia goes I just pray that it isn't Giardia,but since Lollita died too, I'm not taking ANY chances.

eringoesmoo

• RIP Lollita
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 09:35:41 AM »

We took him to the vet...she said that he needed to be put down, so...we put him down.

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 10:00:52 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear that you had to put him down ::cry222:::. He's in a better place now.
Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

eringoesmoo

• RIP Lollita
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 10:40:04 AM »

Thanks so much Shannon, I know he is. Right now my main focus is to keep my others healthy just pray that whatever made him so sick isn't contagious  :::(((

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 02:55:55 PM »

I am so sorry to hear that.  I will keep you in my prayers.

For our education, if you don't mind, can you tell us why the vet felt he should be put down?  What did they conclude was causing all of this?

eringoesmoo

• RIP Lollita
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 03:09:53 PM »

Well she said he was septic, which means the infection was in his blood. She said that there wouldn't be much chance of fixing that.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up