Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this breeder crazy?  (Read 11711 times)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Is this breeder crazy?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 02:24:48 PM »

My first attempt at a trio went fine until the older female delivered. I had already removed the male, and found mom on the floor with the new kits and her daughter from the last litter at the top of the cage. Mom would not let her handy.
They didn't fight, but when the daughter tried to go down the mom would snarl at her. I just took the daughter out, and kept her out.

I have just tried it again with a well bonded pair and added an 8 month old female. They all got a long from the start, so I was lucky.
5 months later ,June 14th 2010 I found the two females cleaning kits and dad standing at the door. Both moms were wet, and both kits tried to nurse from both moms. They had it all figured out in no time. It was beautiful. 5 days later I put dad back and all are happily living together right now.
Yes I'd try it again, but you really need to know your chins. I couldn't do it with all mine. I don't think  ::07yikes:: could get scary. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 02:37:26 PM »

By us we have a method. If we familiarizing 3 chins. 2 females and 1 male. We give first two chins in a little case. When they fight together, we shake with the case. We wating as far as they composing themselves and give with them the male. Again the same. Than we give them in a new cage and ewerything is O.K. I have this way now together 2 couples. It takes maybe few hours, butt it works.

there is absolutely no way i would do this with my chinchillas. mine took about two months to be introduced - cage by cage first, swapping toys, swapping cages, playdates in a separate room but they absolutely loved each other.

sticking chins who don't know each other in a small case and shaking it when they fight sounds incredibly cruel to me, they must be scared senseless.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 01:16:23 PM »

Ya that sounds pretty cruel to me too.
I've tried the smoosh method, with out the shaking and it can work, but it's much easier and less stressful the old fashion way.
Debbie.nl.ca

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 01:38:39 PM »

it's outright dangerous too! shaking a single chinchilla in a box can break bones! i can't believe someone would do that to their beloved pets!

BettyB

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 03:11:16 AM »

That´s ridiculous. Breaking bones? I didn´t think you´re shacking wit them like with a schacker  :doh: only to stop them fight. I familiarized with this method every my chins. Youg, old, everyone. And it was right and it tooks only few Hours. But with the method with 2 cages near by themselves. One female bite off one finger from a hand from the other female, so this is for me more dangerous than that. But they are chins they never like each other. Sorry for my english, I study German, I was only 9 months in London and that was for my English too little :) This is the produce:
2 females and a kid

female with a kid from the other female

trio

pair

pair

these are not all but it is an example for that. I don´t tell you: "Do it" but only "This is a way too")
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 03:19:23 AM by BettyB »

BettyB

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 03:47:58 AM »

My cages are from wood, for 2 - 3 chins in 100 cm x 100 cm = 3543 x 3543 inch. This is minimum for my chins. These are two of my cages. The shelve have a hole. My three chins together never fighting with themselves. This is not true!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:01:13 AM by BettyB »

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 09:24:37 AM »

Wow...this is why I will NEVER take the chance.  :::((( The thought of having sweet, cute tiny little furr balls is just that...a wonderful thought. I have my first two males I purchased from PetSmart and have been fortunate enough NOT to have problems (knock-on-wood)...however, do I know anything about where they came from..NOPE!! I basically just wanted to take them away from being in a big plastic container where they don't belong! The females, I rescued from a teenager in NYS...he didn't want the responsibility of caring for them, he had them in his room and they kept him up all night. He took good care of them and did the best thing by giving them up. Did he know their bloodline? NO!...So just taking them and mixing them with each other is NOT going to happen..I refuse to take a chance in harming them in any way, shape or form for the sake of my own desire to have a cute little fuzz ball...The four are happy as they are, are spoiled rotten and to ruin that would be devastating. Sorry...virgins forever, my beautiful smart little creatures of God! All of these intelligent writings have sealed the deal for me..too much of a chance to take and not enough knowledge on my part! Thank you for all of the truly responsible people on this sight..you CANNOT sugar coat something of ths nature..it needs to be said and an inexperienced person needs to take into account what COULD happen....So be careful, be the wiser and do not take any crazy chances..Good Luck in your decisions!   :)

BettyB

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 04:24:37 AM »

Every my chins are from other breading stations in CZ. I know everything about my chins :) Their parents, grandparents and much more. I´ll never put any unknown chins together. Blondy40: You are kind that you take them.

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 12:01:11 PM »

betty, your chins are absolutely beautiful. your cages look nice too. i still, however, would not put any of my chins in a box with a chin they don't know and shake it. but different people use different methods. sorry to hear about the toe!

BettyB

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 01:20:29 AM »

Thank you dianah  :::grins:: I sympathize with you. I did´n said that the method with two cages is bad. Some people by us are making it too. Other country other manners  :) The toe is O.K. almost hidden. thanks

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 08:38:26 AM »

I learnt from experience. When I first started out breeding I bred too young and one of the females passed away because she was too young. Learn from me, you don't want to breed too young. I raised Peeps on my own and she was the best thing that ever happened to me but she also passed away at 7 years old. I was crushed, still am. But as I started learning, reading, researching, you just can't do it. They will also fight. If you want to breed do some heavy duty research, that's my advice.
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up