Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mating Plug? Heat Plug?  (Read 5866 times)

trista

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Blog
Mating Plug? Heat Plug?
« on: August 17, 2008, 04:26:21 AM »

Ok, so I have a question and I hope this doesn't sound extremely stupid...

Peekers and Boo have been separated since the birth of their kits. They had one supervised play time where neither one even showed an interest in mating. Everyone just ran around with each other - no mating.

Last night I decided to put them back in with each other. It has been 10 days, so there was no immediate breed back.
I've been in this room all night and they said hello to each other, but for the most part, the two of them did their own thing in there.
I noticed the two of them sitting by each other eating food and then I noticed that Peekers was becoming annoyed with Boo. He was showing the signs of wanting to mate (getting a little extra close and grooming her)...she didn't much care.
I saw them mate the first time they mated back in April...so I'm well aware of what this looks like, AND Boo had hiccups after it was all over with.
Back to last night though, I saw how Peekers just wanted to ignore him, so I decided to take him out and put him back "down stairs" in the cage. When I went to touch Peekers she had something on her back. I thought maybe it was a poop, but when I took her out there was a waxy substance smooshed on her.
Now here is my question.
Is this the "heat plug"??? Did she expel it and get it stuck to her? OR, quite obviously the other question, did they mate? They must have been extremely quite and low key about it if they did because I never saw or heard a thing...things were very quiet in there tonight, no one was even jumping around. I had to cut it out of her pretty fur  :-[
I'm just confused, how am I supposed to tell the difference between the two of these, ESPECIALLY when the dang thing was a mini pancake on her back!  >:(
And now I feel like maybe I shouldn't have put them back in so soon.  :doh: I know some people only wait 3 days, but - oh I don't know...
I'm totally fine with it if she is pregnant again. I will probably stop breeding her after that though.
Looking forward to everyone's input.
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
Re: Mating Plug? Heat Plug?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 12:33:21 PM »

If it was on her back then it was probably just a dominance mounting. I would keep your male away from the female for a little while if she is getting annoyed with him. She needs to focus on caring for her kits, not fighting off a male. The kits could also get hurt in all of the scuffling. You don't want her to get pregnant again. Give her body a little time to rest.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

trista

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 06:10:16 PM »

She wasn't angry annoyed, she was kind of acting like he wasn't there. I did remove him the minute I saw that she didn't really care if he was there or not.
The question still remains though...what did I find stuck to her back?

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 06:21:26 PM »

He could have been dominance mounting her with the result being the waxy substance on her back.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)

trista

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 06:44:12 PM »

I see!  ::nod::

trista

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 06:45:10 PM »

I'm sure this will be mentioned, so I'll just say it first - Yes, I have marked my calendar for 111 days JUST in case.

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 08:37:10 PM »

Make sure you are supplementing her. A breedback is so stressful on the mother's body. She is giving nutrients to her kits and nutrients to the kits in her belly if she is pregnant again.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**

trista

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 08:49:25 PM »

Thanks !  ;)
What are the best ones to give her?
Pages: [1]   Go Up