Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deciding Colors of your chins????  (Read 1589 times)

thekramers07

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Deciding Colors of your chins????
« on: May 29, 2008, 05:00:05 PM »

Ok I'm sure this subject has been touched on before, but instead of spending hours looking for them I thought I would ask again......

My husband and I have just acquired 11 chins from 2 different people (basically rescued them) And we are having a hard time trying to figure out the colors of a few of them. We have spent lots of time looking at different sites showing pics and describing the different colors. But we are still confussed. Is there one site we can go to that will give us  in depth detailed info with pics?? It is my husbands belief that we will never be able to tell the "true" colors of them because we don't know the history on their bloodlines. Is this true?

Any and all info will be helpful.....

Thank You,

W & J

chinchilla.nikki

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla  Estates
Re: Deciding Colors of your chins????
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 07:56:55 PM »

Hi--I think your hubby might be right.  It is hard to know for sure without knowing the blood line.  For instance, one of my daughter's chins just had babies.  Surprisingly one of them is a tan. She had 2.  The other one is a white mosaic or white ebony.  The mother (we thought) was just a heter. beige (according to the previous owner--no pedigree available).  The father is a pink white-has his pedigree.  So, the mother must be an ebony carrier for her to have a tan.  You will never know for sure without the blood line & when babies are born you might know more.  Do you at least know if any of them are related, so you will at least not mate any of those? I like  www.sunsetchinchillas.com for colors.  Their explanations are good, too.  Hope you can learn more about your new chins......JANE   ::nod::
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 08:02:36 PM by chinchilla.nikki »
Chinchilla Estates******Jane, Ricke & Petra
   Caring family of chinchillas

thekramers07

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Deciding Colors of your chins????
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 08:48:49 PM »

:::grins:: Thanks for the reply Jane.. Yes we know NONE of them are related..... Will give the link a look.. Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up