Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I tell if they are two females?  (Read 4006 times)

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
How do I tell if they are two females?
« on: May 25, 2008, 08:15:52 PM »

I know there are a lot of topics about chinchillas in heat, but I'm a little suspicious of my "girls".  If you've read any of my other posts, you know that I have little reason to trust the pet store I got my girls from.  So how do I trust that they're both girls?  I have no way of checking them, Kira will probably never let me hold her.

Anyway, I ask because I think Kira's in heat.  There's little doubt really.  She's been doing the "swish swish tail dance" a lot, grooming M'noke, licking her head, and trying to mount her.  She doesn't ever seem successful, but do girls mount?  And should I be preparing for a litter?  I've had them since November, so we figured we were safe.  We don't really want to be breeding them, so I'm not sure what to do if we have a boy and a girl! 

Could anyone more experienced with chinchilla breeding help me identify this behaviour?  Thank you so much in advance.  I don't want any surprises in 111 days! 

sashasmommy

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: How do I tell if they are two females?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:55:59 AM »

Is there anyway you can get a good look at their rumps? There are two..bumps down there that on a female are very close together and on a male are farther apart. It does kinda look like a penis to me on either of them, but I guess it's just how they are. lol...you really just need to see how far apart those are. Also females have the habit of spraying when in distress. That would be a pretty good indicator they are female too. I hope that helps at all. As for Kira not coming to you, have you tried giving her treats? Dont just dive into picking her up. Hold a treat on your hand and just leave your hand in the cage. It worked with me and Spike. He eventually would come to me. Still kinda skittish, but getting better.
5 Chinnies- Sasha, Star, Stevie, Stuart, Baby
1 Dog- Sierra
1 Hampster- Lightning
2 Kids- Lauryn, Ashton

Sweetnessheart

• Appreciation points: 7
    • View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:10:50 AM »

You need to look at www.lowcountrychinchillas.com under the "chinchilla information".  You can click on "sexing your chin".  This shows exactly how males and females look.
Janice and Jim
http://www.4jsplantation.com

ECBC V-Pres. - Southeast Unit of Ohio Branch

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 10:11:22 PM »

I wouldn't be able to look at her parts.  She does come to me, she even sits on me and sniffs me, but only this month has she let me pet her a bit (we've had them six months this month).  She was very traumatized by the pet store, and I don't think picking her up and poking at her would be fair or even possible.  She also bites, and it's not just a nibble.  If I don't respect her space I might lose my finger.  Neither of them have ever sprayed.  Could it just be an act of dominance?  It was definitely a mount, not just playing, two days in a row.     

sashasmommy

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:39:33 PM »

Just to be safe then, unless you are looking to breed, I would separate them until you can determine otherwise. Could a vet maybe be able to tell you?
5 Chinnies- Sasha, Star, Stevie, Stuart, Baby
1 Dog- Sierra
1 Hampster- Lightning
2 Kids- Lauryn, Ashton
Pages: [1]   Go Up