Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any suggestions...??  (Read 3575 times)

georgiachins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Chinchillas
Any suggestions...??
« on: April 29, 2008, 08:27:20 PM »

I went into petco last year.  There were 3 chins in a very small GLASS cage, diarrhea in the food bowl, fruit & nuts at their disposal, & no ledges or wood to chew on.  One of the chins was very sickly so I bought it just to get him out of there; his eyes were crusty & he limped around.  2 days later I picked him up out of his cage & part of his large intestine had come out, we rushed him to the vet but the vet couldn't save his intestine so he died.  The vet said that he had an intestinal parasite because of eating feces & possibly something he mightv'e been born with because of the careless breeding that petstores use to provide their animals.  I made a scene at Petco several time because kids would want to hold them & would nearly squeeze them to death.  I just really upset me.  They stopped selling them for awhile.  I had to go in Petco about a month ago... there were 2 males in there & I went in there last week & they were still in there.  I wanted to buy them... again just to get them out of there but they would just be replaced.  They aren't getting the correct diet, living conditions, & attention that chins need.  I want to do something... but what I don't know!

~Crystal~

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: Any suggestions...??
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 06:05:04 AM »

If you were to buy them all that would do is encourage them to continue to carry them. All you can do is try to inform them of proper care.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Sweetnessheart

• Appreciation points: 7
    • View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 07:33:35 AM »

Hi there!  First let me say "Welcome" to the Chin Club...I am your "neighbor" in South Carolina.

My suggestion is to call the humane society in the area or animal cruelty and see what they might suggest.  I know they mainly deal with dogs and cats, but they should have some suggestions (hopefully).
Janice and Jim
http://www.4jsplantation.com

ECBC V-Pres. - Southeast Unit of Ohio Branch

georgiachins

• View Profile
    • Georgia Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 08:20:55 AM »

I tried doing the humane society thing but they wouldn't do anything about it because Petco hosts dog adoptions for them every Saturday... How convient ::)

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 04:20:33 PM »

Hi.  What a sad, sad story!  I actually bought my girl at Petco, and I've visited several in the area since.  Luckily, all of the stores had fresh water and pellets and the chins seemed healthy.  Last weekend I went in to see some, and asked to hold one, and the lady said that I could ONLY if I was serious about buying one.  Since I wasn't, she wouldn't let me.  So, it's not the whole corporation that's bad. 

I suggest, first, ask to speak with the district manager and inform them of how animals are being treated.  Go as high up the management chain until you get a good response, and feel that something will be done.

Second, if it comes to it, you could always threaten to picket the store with a few friends, saying how bad they are on like a Saturday, when a lot of people are shopping.  If that doesn't work, write a letter to your local newspapers, they always love a good story.  You could also call your local news station, tell them they should investigate it.

Well, those are just a few suggestions from Rhode Island.  I commend you on your commitment to the proper treatment of animals, and my heart goes out to those poor chinnies.

Good luck and let us know!! ;)

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 03:58:40 PM »

Also, your local police department and PETA may be able to do something...see the link
http://www.peta.org/about/c-contact.asp

good luck
Pages: [1]   Go Up