Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: chin not drinking??  (Read 4596 times)

crazycritter

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
chin not drinking??
« on: April 29, 2008, 02:52:14 PM »

OK so this is my question we have a chin that we got?? about 3 weeks ago ? all was well (she is in quarantine!! ) but the only thing that I can think of that has changed is that we switched her to our food? we didn't have much of her food so we did a 2 week switch over then she just stopped drinking water ? I don't know if this is the cause but, that is the only thing that comes to mind?funny thing is she acts OK ? she is eating some but not drinking after the second day of noticing this I started giving her some CC and at least 20 cc of water. tried the apple juice and water mix (did notice one day that it had went down some but there was a little wet below the bottle in the cage to?) she is still pooping, peeing some? can anyone give me any suggestions what might be going on?
this has been going on for about 3 or 4 days and  we do have a appt with the doc. I just thought I would ask if anyone has any ideas thanks so much for any help  :(

Beth

• View Profile
Re: chin not drinking??
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 04:06:02 PM »

Just an idea, I'm not a vet or anything, but when a dog stops drinking, sometimes they have a bladder infection and don't want to pee because it's painful.  Keep giving your chin water by cc (I think!) and you could call your vet before your appointment in the meantime, for what to do.  Dehydration is no joke, it's a really big deal.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Beth :)

Leslie

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 04:25:28 PM »

This might be totally obvious and I apologize in advance, but you have thoroughly inspected the water bottle?  I had an issue with mine where it would be okay for a few seconds, but then stop.  I would need to shake it to get the water flowing again.  I didn't notice for a day, and my poor chin went nuts on the water bottle when I shook the water out for him.  Luckily I had a spare one for emergencies.

crazycritter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 05:05:50 PM »

I think that the water bottle is ok I was worried about her not knowing how to use it so I hooked up 2 diffrent kind for her??so I would tink that one or the other would work

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 07:17:19 AM »

Every day i always check my water bottle by using my finger like a tounge to make sure I can get some out.
Try an water and cranberry juice mix. Feed her a little youself and then hook up a water bottle to try and tempt her. I assume she is quite young though so don't make it too strong. I'm not a huge expert either but that is what I would do.
A trip to the vet is a must though it could very well be an infection. I really hope not and I wish you the best of luck!

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 08:22:56 PM »

I had a problem once where i moved the water bottle to a different side of the cage, adn they didn't drink for three days.  At first I thought it was a bottle problem, but it was always fine.  When I realized what was wrong, Kira was licking the water from my fingers!  I gave her a little bowl, and she drank it so fast she had it down her front.  Finally, I moved it back and they drank almost half the bottle.  It might seem silly, but did you move the bottle lately?  They 're so stubborn.  I hope they're ok!
Pages: [1]   Go Up