Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Emergency Care Kit  (Read 4373 times)

Brazilnut

• Appreciation points: 4
  • Chloe & me
    • View Profile
Emergency Care Kit
« on: April 16, 2008, 07:33:18 PM »

Hey all,

If you were to make the ideal "First Aid" kit for your chinchillas, what items would you put in it? Anything from experience that you feel is neccessary to add to the list?

So far I have....
-Nutri-Stat
-syringes
-Gerber Liqui Lytes (pedialyte)
-plain Cheerios (will these substitute for shredded wheat in case of mushy stools/diarrhea?)

Do any of you keep some kind of laxative in case of constipation? Or is more hay and a slice of apple preffered?

Sorry for all the questions. I am a nursing major and like to always be prepared!  :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 10:10:18 AM by Brazilnut »

Lori Ramsey Earle

• Appreciation points: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Care Kit?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 07:12:35 PM »

These are a couple of things I always have on hand:

1) Infant simethicone

2) Acidophilus capsules(dairy free, if possible)

3) Triple antiobiotic ointment

4) Natural tears, preservative free

5) If you have alot of chins, you might consider having some more specialized meds on hand - these would need to be obtained from your vet - trimethiprim sulfa, reglan, gentamicin eye drops, etc. If you only have one or two chins, this would be over kill.

Brazilnut

• Appreciation points: 4
  • Chloe & me
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Care Kit?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 10:09:45 AM »

Haha, thanks.  :) I only have 1 chinchilla so I will stick with the top half for now. When would I know to use the simethicone and how is it administered? Thanks so much!

Lori Ramsey Earle

• Appreciation points: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Care Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 05:47:46 PM »

When I notice that one of my chins isn't eating well (and their poops have been getting smaller and smaller), that's when I assume they've either got a stomach problem or a dental problem. I take this chin and put my ear up to their tummy and see if I can hear any type of percolating noises. If I do, then I give them .2 cc of infant simethicone, which is real effective at breaking up gas bubbles in the stomach. You can use the dropper that comes with the simethicone bottle or you can use a 1 cc syringe. I also give a dose of probiotic and take the chin into the bathroom for a good run. All these things will help you ward off gut stasis, which isn't something that you ever want your chin to experience.
The simethicone is a benign treatment - no side effects. If a tummy problem persists, you can give it often, though I've never seen any guidelines. I've given it up to 3 times a day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up