Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: introducing baby males?  (Read 1690 times)

chinnyboo

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
introducing baby males?
« on: April 13, 2008, 02:55:27 PM »

I just bought another chin from the pet-store (yes, i know it's probably not the best place). He's a 3 month old mosaic male, and I fell in love with him when i saw him, and spent my whole check buying him! Not responsible.. :blush2: I also have a 6 month old standard male, who has a fairly large cage so I bought my mosaic knowing I could divide it top and bottom. I knew nothing about the quarantine!! I'm worried because I cannot afford another cage right now. Regardless I think the two are going to turn out to be great friends. After I divided the cage I let my oldest out to play while my new one (haven't figured out a name yet :)) checked out his cage. Well as soon as the mosaic saw Noel he started chirping really loudly and trying to get out of the cage. Noel heard and he started making the same noise! Then they started rubbing noses through the cage. They did this all night and when I let the little one out he climbed the cage to check out Noel, who has the top of the cage. Is this a good sign or bad? Also how should I go about introducing? Any help would be great, thank you all!  :)

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Re: introducing baby males?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 04:43:38 PM »

Well they're both young so that's a good start.
When introducing them do it in a neutral area. Some people do it in a small tank or cage, some in a big play area, but if it's somewhere neither of them has been before they won't be territorial over it so they shouldn't fight. :)
Put them in each other's cages and let them share dust from the dust bath. Give it to one then the other. Swap toys from one cage to another, things like that so they get used to each other's smell.

What I did with mine was hold one of them by the open door of the other's cage but hide his head. The female would then groom his back and after a while I let his head out so they could groom each other.

They will probably fight a little bit, but you must decide when it's getting too rough. A bit of fur will fly as they decide who will be the dominant one, but if you see any blood of if you think one of them is bullying the other or if one looks too distressed, separate them and don't try again for a few days. If it's too bad don't try again at all. Chinchillas can kill each other. :(

You know your chinchillas so just take it slowly and always supervise them. And good luck. :)

sashasmommy

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: introducing baby males?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 01:17:48 PM »

Well to be honest I put Sasha and Spike together almost immediately. Not sure if it was the wrong thing to do or not...but they have been inseparable since. Maybe its because she is a she and he is a he...They are too cute tho. Spike tries to always keep her close, snuggled up and all..and its almost impossible to separate them if Spike says no.
5 Chinnies- Sasha, Star, Stevie, Stuart, Baby
1 Dog- Sierra
1 Hampster- Lightning
2 Kids- Lauryn, Ashton
Pages: [1]   Go Up