Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new chin owner here....  (Read 1557 times)

newarmychin

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
new chin owner here....
« on: April 09, 2008, 01:47:02 AM »

I just got her she's 6 months old and I named her Chinta (after go diego go 1st thing that popped into my head).  My Dh is scared of her, he thinks she looks weird I think she's beautiful gray with some black in her hairs a doll.

Question the person I got her from said that if i grab her by the tail and she struggles it will come off.....is this true? b/c I have been on my toes about how I hold her and making sure she doesn't struggle..

Thanks for all your help and this forum looks pretty good by just browsing through here so far everyone is polite and helps out

Sweetnessheart

• Appreciation points: 7
    • View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
Re: new chin owner here....
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 07:25:24 AM »

Welcome!   :::grins::

Picking up a chinchilla can be a little scary the first few times.  You don't want to grab at her.  She will become more afraid of you and possibly slip some of her fur.    Her ribs are very delicate so never try to pick up your chinchilla around her middle.  I was taught to pick up a chinchilla at the top of the tail closest to the body, this way you can get a solid hold and the animal won't struggle to get away from you as much.  After you pick her up, hold her close to you to give her feet support (resting on your arm; like holding a baby; cradling).  This way she will feel secure and get used to you.

Hope this helps....feel free to ask questions any time!  That is the way we all learn!!  ::nod::
Janice and Jim
http://www.4jsplantation.com

ECBC V-Pres. - Southeast Unit of Ohio Branch
Pages: [1]   Go Up