Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: His Poor Feet  (Read 1945 times)

chinnyboo

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
His Poor Feet
« on: February 13, 2008, 07:54:50 PM »

I just bought a nice big cage for my baby, but it has a wire floor and wire shelves. I know this is absolutely horrible for his feet and I fully intend on making him wood shelves, however I've noticed his feet have become really red.  :'( I feel so bad for him and I'm wondering what is the best thing I can do for him? And do you think his feet have become red/sort of inflamed because of the wire? This weekend I'll make the shelves, is it okay to wait that long?

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
Re: His Poor Feet
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 08:23:20 PM »

All of my chins have pink to dark pink feet. Just look for cracked or peeling skin. I have both types of cages and I have never had a problem. Just make sure you have a few places that are solid (like ledges or marble slabs) where they can rest their feet if needed. I like the solid bottom cages better, but the chins do fine in both. The only thing you have to make sure of with the wire bottoms is that you clean them regularly. I take a baby wipe (gentle, unscented) and wipe down all the levels. If not, they can get nasty and you usually can't see due to the color of the wire. If you are worried about bumblefoot, just have a vet take a look at him and you can get some medicine to put on it. No worries!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

chinnyboo

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 06:33:29 PM »

I guess I just worry a little too much about him.  :::grins:: His feet have gone down and they look just fine now. I would love to take the wire out from the bottom of his cage, but it seems like no matter what type of bedding I get he eats it! I was wanting to build some shelves and I went to Lowes today to find some untreated pine, but I just didn't see any that I thought might be safe. Where should I buy the wood for his shelves at? Any suggestions would be appreciated ;)

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 02:10:30 AM »

I get my untreated pine boards from Home Depot. You can also purchase the super pet brand ledges. I get ledges from Forchinate Chins. They are bigger than the super pet brand, and are fairly priced. Plus, the proceeds go towards the running of the rescue.

http://www.geocities.com/forchinatechins/chincessories.htm

~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up