Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Don't think my chinchilla likes me very much :(  (Read 9347 times)

AndyRC

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
I Don't think my chinchilla likes me very much :(
« on: February 12, 2008, 10:59:15 PM »

I just got a new chinchilla about a month ago, He seems to be happy and healthy. But I don't think he likes me.
I take him out of his cage every day to play with him and let him run around, I also hand feed him treats. But he never lets me pet him, and runs away when I make any kind of sudden movements. It's almost like he's scared of me. I've done everything I can to try and let him know I'm not a threat. But I don't think he's getting the message. Can anyone give me some advice on how to get him to be calm, and get used to me?  ::shrug::

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Re: I Don't think my chinchilla likes me very much :(
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 04:54:40 PM »

My best advice is patience, and lots of it.
You have to remember chinchillas are prey animals and you are a predator, it will take time for him to trust you. I got a baby in June and he is only just letting me touch him now, and then only for a few seconds at a time, but it's getting longer.

Some tips:
Sit by the cage and talk to him softly. Put your hands near the cage for him to sniff and then through the bars. Chinchillas bite out of fear but if you let him smell you first before you put them in he should be fine. Chinchillas 'taste' with their teeth in the same way that dogs smell something to find out what it is. They just sort of scrape their teeth on you and it doesn't hurt at all. If they do bite a little harder than you would like, make a yelping noise and pull your finger away, that way they know they've hurt you.
Break up a raisin into lots of small bits and feed them through the bars.
Then when he's okay with you being outside the cage open one of the doors and put your hands in palm up. Let him sniff and walk on your hands and arms and feed him a few treats, but not too many or you'll make him ill.
Just talk gently to him and don't make any sudden movements. It probably will take about 6 months for him to trust you but every chinchilla is different. It's so rewarding when they do. :)
Don't chase him around the cage, or chase him at all if you can help it. When letting him out the best way is to have the cage in a secure room and just open the door to let him come out on his own and then when he goes back in close the door and give him a treat. That doesn't usually work though.
You can make is so he has to come onto your lap to get out, have a quick cuddle and then put him down yourself. That way he will associate playtime with you. Or you can usea carry case to transport him to a playroom. Most people give their chinchillas a treat when they go back into their cage, either on their own or via you.

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 05:23:49 PM »

Jenova is right, it is all about patience. I would say it was close to a year before my chin was COMPLETELY comfortable with me. I haven't had one yet that likes to be held. I have plenty that will come play with me, climb on me, and let me give them chin scritches. I promise that it is definitely worth the wait. On the plus side, at least the chin doesn't spray you. I have one that took me close to a month to break from that habit.  ;)
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »

I was having the same thoughts only a few short weeks ago, and now we're the best of pals.  It just takes time and patience, but it's worth it!  Yours will come around too!  Also see the thread "bonding advice" and "help new chin owner questions" in Q and A, those were people's great responses to my concerns.  GREAT ADVICE by everyone! ;)

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 08:24:58 PM »

I think every new chin owner feels like that at first. Thank goodness for this support system or these chins could give us all self-esteem issues!  :2funny: rofl
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 11:07:24 PM »

Just hang in there.  A month isn't a long time for chins.  Most people say it takes six months for them to come around.  It sounds like you're doing the right things.  Remember they live for 10-20 years, so six months isn't long (as I was reminded when I first got my girls!)

I've had my two girls for 3 months (tomorrow is our three month anniversary, and valentine's day  ::kiss99:: ).  The first month was horrible.  My Kira was so terrified, and traumatized from (I think) experiences at the pet store that she bit me very badly and cut my finger very deep when I was cleaning her cage.  We worked through it, and now she licks my fingers and sits on my shoulders every night.  I can give them small pets, but they're still not comfortable with it.  Just work at it and be patient, they need the petting and touching on their terms.  Keep looking back to where you were on the first day.  Although I can't pet them, I remember that first month where Kira seemed to hate me and I was so upset.  Now she's my buddy and we get along really well. 

Don't worry, your chin will eventually come to love you!  ::wub::

Deeliteful

• # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 07:30:41 PM »

Dont get discouraged . I have had my little guy for over a year now. While he still doesnt like to be out of his cage unless its in his big ball to roll around in and it took us some time to build up some trust . Now he will let me love all over him and he thinks i need to be groomed daily ... through the opened cage door of corse . He invited me into his house lol.

Remember to be gentle soft and kind OH and treats . With time that trust will build .

AndyRC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 04:01:30 PM »

thanks for all the advice, I'm definetley  going to be patient, and I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing until he decides to be my friend :D

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 10:19:07 AM »

The best thing I did was lay on the floor with them.  It makes you less intimidating, and they can see your face.  The other day M'noke stared into my husband's eyes for three minutes (a long time for the little jumpers!).  I take raisins and cut them into small peices so they feel like they're getting more.  The rule is that they get a rainin only if they're on my chest or tummy.  This gets them to trust you, and every now and then I try and pet them when they're eating the raisin.  And sometimes they sit on my face  ???

good luck!

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 12:56:57 PM »

Dont get discouraged . I have had my little guy for over a year now. While he still doesnt like to be out of his cage unless its in his big ball to roll around in and it took us some time to build up some trust .

I would be careful using those big balls. They can be very dangerous. I have heard some horror stories about chins with broken backs. The chin could urinate on itself or overheat.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**

Deeliteful

• # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 12:37:32 AM »

I know all the horror stories for sure . I made sure to get the extra jumbo sized ball and in the year and a half we have been using it we have had no problems ... now if you have a ball thats too small there could be issues . Rule is only 15 minutes in the ball . That way he doesnt over heat in there and so far every time he has ever pee'd in it he stopped in the kitchen and pee'd and there it was a little puddle on the floor it comes right out of the vents .

15 minutes is just the right amount of time for me to clean out the cage and its the least stressful way for me to do it for the little guy . I am not sure he will ever feel secure outside of the cage with out something around him . I am chalking that up to who had him before I took over his care .

So we have play time with him still in the cage and me out side the cage reaching in and on the few occasions he has decided to come out on his own we have taken full advantage of it ,otherwise he is fine right in his cage . I wish he would come out more but ahhh well im not going to force him LOL .

I do agree though on the ball thing . They can over heat easily inside it and if the ball is too small there could be injuries .

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 05:16:18 PM »

I have started using a ball, mainly because it sometimes takes too long to chin proof the room and as we're both working it's nice to be able to let them out instantaneously so they have more time to run around. It's a really big one and Chong especially looks tiny in it. I know they like it because I hold it open by the door of their cages and they jump in. If they don't want to come out in it I don't make them. I give them 20 mins in it and they don't usually pee, but they do get poos stuck all over them. I would pick them off but most of the time they don't let me, so I let them do it themselves and check on them after a few mins of them being back in their cages to make sure. Mine prefer to be out of the ball but it's not always possible, plus I can let them interact with the dog and rabbits while they're in the ball which usually results in the chinchillas chasing them. :)
I think as long as they are under proper supervision and not out in it long enough to overheat and of course if the ball is big enough (mine's 15 inches) they are a good way to make sure your chinchilla is safe while playing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up