Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: chinnie slobber?  (Read 1872 times)

Beth

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
chinnie slobber?
« on: February 11, 2008, 06:42:32 PM »

Hi all.  This is probably a stupid question, but I was just petting my little girl, when I noticed a small sticky patch of fur on one side of her chin.  She could have gotten in to something that I'm not aware of, or...?  I just wonder if it might be chinchilla slobber and something could be wrong with her teeth.  But she is eating/drinking fine, and her poops are normal. 

My other question is how do I get it off?  Or do I just leave her alone to clean herself?  Will she even notice it right under her chin?

Thanks, I know I'm a nervous Mom! :blush2:

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
Re: chinnie slobber?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 07:22:30 PM »

If I am not mistaken, drooling could be a sign of malloclussion (sp?). You might want to check her teeth to make sure they are not overgrowing or have a vet x-ray the chin to make sure the teeth aren't growing into the nasal cavity. If I mistaken, someone please correct me.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 10:40:31 PM »

Yes, you are correct that slobbers can be a sign of malocclusion.  How long have you had your girl?  Is this the first time you've noticed a wet spot under her chin?  Usually, slobbering is something that happens on both sides of the mouth, and is ongoing.  If this is the first time you have seen this, I would probably wait and see if it happens again.  If you see consistent drooling over the next day or two then take her to the vet for a dental workup.  Otherwise, she probably just got into something and got it in her fur.  As far as removing it, unless it is interfering with her mouth in some way I would not try to remove it yourself.  She is not likely to take kindly to you pulling on the fur around her face.  She should clean it off herself over a period of time with regular dustbaths.  If it really bugs you though and you want to clean it, a damp cloth should do to wipe the fur clean, then dry it completely before you let her bathe in the dust.

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 03:49:34 PM »

Thanks guys!  It wasn't wet, per se, just a sticky area on one side of her mouth.  I'll be checking it out in the next few days to see what's up.  Thanks again!!

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 07:29:48 PM »

Well, I just checked her out and it's all gone!  Whatever it was!   ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up