Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need help! questions about my girl...  (Read 3215 times)

Beth

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
I need help! questions about my girl...
« on: February 02, 2008, 08:15:42 PM »

Hi everyone!  First, I wanted to thank you all for your advice, it's been so very helpful!  Second, I have a couple questions about my Lu.  Today I let her out at her usual time (5 pm) and she went straight under the dresser.  That's pretty normal.  But she hasn't come out.  Not to play, or drink water or eat at her regular time (8 pm).  I fed her an alfalfa treat trying to coax her out, and she ate it, but went straight back under the dresser.  I'm worried because this is unusual.

Also, her fur hasn't grown back on the tops of her big toes.  It's been about a month since I noticed that.  I haven't seen her actively chewing her fur, and I don't think there's any reason for her to be stressed.  She has plenty of food and water and peace and quiet, and lots of toys.  We usually bond every night and have fun.  The skin is pink and hairless, with no flaking or scabs, just bald.  And the areas haven't spread at all.

Please please advise me!  I don't want to take her to the vet unless it's necessary, because I know it will traumatize her, and we've been making so much progress lately, I'd hate to ruin that!  Do you think it would?

Thanks in advance guys! :)

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
Re: I need help! questions about my girl...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 11:16:43 PM »

Fur can sometimes take a little while to grow back. I would still take her to the vet anyways to be safe. She won't be traumatized. She might get a little upset about it, but they usually don't stay upset for more than a day (just bribe a little bit!) ;)
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 11:39:17 PM »

Sometimes the fur may not grow back on some areas of the body.  I have a couple that have lost sections of tail fur, through tiffs with cage mates, and one got his tail caught in something.  The fur never grew back, so they just have bald spots there.  I don't know if toes might be the same, never having had the experience of missing toe fur.

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 09:02:52 AM »

Thanks you guys.  :) After I posted that message last night, Lulu shot out from under the dresser like a rocket and was zooming all over the room with more spunk than I've ever seen!  I guess she just needed more sleep yesterday.  I'm going to keep an eye on her toes, give it another week or so to see if I will take her to the vet.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 02:40:51 PM »

Awww sounds like she's found her own little hide-a-way, and likes it.
I have one that scuffed the fur off one of his big toes, whipping around the cage. His toe is bald, not to worry.
I have several with tail tips that are fur less. ::) One I caught by the tip and it didn't grow back, another that had a chin fight, and one who is left with a stump after an amputation, hers would grow back if she'd let it.
Debbie.nl.ca

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 04:10:38 PM »

Thanks Debbie! ;)

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 06:10:50 PM »

My Petie lost the tip of his tail. It is bald on the end, but it is hardly noticeable. That was the worst experience ever. He always loved the kids room, and was always trying to find a way in (we would shut all of the doors, and let him play in the main area of the house. I went to put my youngest to bed and I hurried in the room and shut the door to keep Petie from getting in. I went to clean up a bit, and when I walked by the kids room I saw the end of his tail on the floor. I went in the kids room and found him. I started crying hysterically. The skin and fur had come off, but left the actual tail. It was Sat. and the only vet in town that looks at chins was closed. I took care of him and got him to the vet where they told me he would need a $400.00 surgery. I was assured that I would be okay for a few days while I could get the money together. Before I got a chance, Petie had done the surgery himself. I took him to the vet to have it checked out, and I was told that he did a perfect job. We put him on an antibiotic to be on the safe side, and the skin just formed a tiny nub. My baby is such a genious, he should be a chin vet!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 01:53:10 PM »

Yes ChillinChinchillas they are great at taking care of minor wounds.
Sometimes you have to keep a close eye on a more serious wound as they don't always stop chewing when they should.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up