Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chin Fighting  (Read 6320 times)

chinsitter

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chin Fighting
« on: January 27, 2008, 08:06:27 AM »

Hi everyone. The two chinnies I'm babysitting (who are 3 year-old brothers, I may have mentioned elsewhere) fight sometimes. I've had them almost a month now, and they've spent 2 days fighting (not consecutively), as far as I know. One seems to be the aggressor in both cases, and the other one goes into his purple house and pouts afterwards. Any thoughts on this?

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
Re: Chin Fighting
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 09:32:21 AM »

Even chins that have gotten along fine in the past, can get to the point of not getting along anymore. If it continues to be a problem, I would get another cage and seperate them. You can keep their cages side by side, or if they try to fight through the bars, seperate the cages.

It could just be little spats as well. Just try to observe them and as long as it doesn't get too violent, I wouldn't worry. You might want to check each of them to see if you can see any injuries.

As long as you don't see blood, or scabs, I wouldn't worry!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 10:10:17 AM »

I think much like people, all the roomates sometimes argue. as long as there is no cuts, bleeding or anything they should be fine
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

chinsitter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 02:02:18 PM »

Thanks, guys. I have inspected them, and there's not so much as a bald spot despite the tufts of hair found here and there about the cage. Last night they were cuddling, so I think they're ok. Just a couple little spats. I'll continue to monitor them, of course. I hope they stay pals!

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 04:10:11 PM »

They're probably just working out dominance issues.  All animals do that, cats, dogs, even people.  It's nice when they cuddle though.   ::nod::

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 06:45:41 PM »

In the case of rabbits, if they don't have enough personal space they tend to fight more. I know rabbits are not chins, but do they have places to go, other than the house where they can't see each other? Much like people I bet they need a little bit of alone time very now and then. That's my advice, although it's not the most experienced. :0

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 06:25:29 PM »

I find the same as most, cage mates can and will argue no matter what the relationship.
Hey I shared a room with my sister, and we never had one big enough :D
Hubby has the basement and I have the chin room. ;)
As long as it's kept clean,no surprise attacks,kept to a min,and each has a hiding place they should be able to work things out on their own.
That said I've had to seperate some after years of living together.Sometimes they are still able to have play time together, and then some times they are banned for life from each other.
Always keep an eye out for such problems, and always be have an extra cage on hand.
Do let us know how is goes, there are always surprises. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 08:58:06 PM »

I was trying to figure out what my husband's equivalent to the chin room is.....I would have to say the bathroom! :doh:
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)

chinsitter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 10:26:43 AM »

The chinnies have a pretty big cage, and several little houses to duck into.  ::nod:: They've been cuddlin' lately. I do think it might be a dominance issue between them. I don't have an extra cage, though. I'm not even sure if I'd have room for one.  ::shrug:: I know if it becomes a serious problem, the person I'm sitting for will run right out and get me one, though... probably just as huge as the one they're in now! ::silly::

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 02:43:14 PM »

If you have to get another cage, it doesn't have to be huge. If they are cuddling for now I would think that they are fine together, for the time being anyways!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 05:04:43 PM »

I was trying to figure out what my husband's equivalent to the chin room is.....I would have to say the bathroom! :doh:

My husband always says the whole house is mine, but we each have our own bathroom and office (mine's a chin room) and he has a ping pong table in the basement.  I think really, he has the whole house!  I"m so glad we have two bathrooms.... rofl

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 02:53:29 PM »

If they are cuddling for now I would think that they are fine together, for the time being anyways

I agree, that's the sign we're all looking for when pairing chins.
Little spats will happen.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up