Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Working with 2 females trying to get them to accept eachother  (Read 11132 times)

shadowborne

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Working with 2 females trying to get them to accept eachother
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 11:35:35 AM »

Silver see's Amy and bolts for her, Amy see's silver and wants to just snuggle up. If silver lets Amy Amy will get close and lean against her but then silver turns, pulls out a bit of fur and Amy runs off for a bit. I have not seen any blood but Amy one day did let out a squeek and ran off, didn't see what happened but she had a little fur slip. I believe she cam around the corner, bumped into silver, and silver let her know she wasn't happy. Anyway going to put them together in the same room soon as it's starting to get warm here and they don't have a choice. Only room with direct air conditioning. Has anyone heard of the method of taking them both on a 15 to 20 minute trip in a car and then putting them in the same carrier and driving around for a bit with someone to watch them? I saw it somewhere as a method to try and help but don't know much else about it.

Thank you

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 02:42:12 PM »

I tried that, taking 2 too the vet in one carrier.
Well I had to stop the car and take one out they were fighting that bad. I carried one in my arms into the vet and left one in the carrier.
I 'd say your just as well off walking around the house with both in your arms.
I'm not a big fan of the smoosh method, { stuffing 2 into a small space}but did get it to work once.
The only time I have been able to force 2 chins togther is with the opposite sex.
I'd be afraid Silver is going to upset Amy, and she seems like such a mild mannored chin.
Debbie.nl.ca

shadowborne

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 09:36:27 PM »

Alright, now that Amy is better and able to run around like she used to we decided to let them out together with a twist this time. Amy has had the dining room to herself for the past week or 2 and has been enjoying herself. We decided to introduce them in Amy's space since Amy has been non dominent (except towards us, strange) and so far it seems to be somewhat working. They arn't biting at each other though Silver tried to mount Amy (or it looked like it, she started to climb up on Amy's back and they are both female) but otherwise didn't do much to eachother. When they sat together for an extended period Amy seemed to groom Silver which we thought was good, is any of this a good sign? Is the "mounting" a bad sign that needs to be stopped?

Thank you all for your support and compassion to this annoying soul.
:-)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 09:19:31 AM »

::silly::  All chinchillas are different ... each has their own special personalities.  As with humans, some personalities conflict ... between two chinchillas and sometimes even between a chinchilla and a human.   Have you ever liked someone, but they did not seem to like you.  Or someone wanted to be friends, but you just didn't like them?   This looks to be the case between your two chins. 

Looks like you may have two dominate females.   If you have ever heard the ole saying, "Two women can't live in the same house."  This may be the case with these two particular two female chins.

The "mounting" is very often NOT a sexual thing ... it is a show of dominance ... trying to decide who will be the alpha or boss chin.  If both have a strong personality, you may not be able to get them to stay together peacefully.  You may have to invest in a second cage for the safety of both chins and your sanity.   :::grins::

The time-out carrier is a good way to show them they must behave during playtime, but once you leave ... if they are in the same cage ... you may come back to one or two injured chins or even a dead one.   I don't mean to scare you, but, I have seen it happen.

Keep us posted!

::wave::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
     Only regrets they were not  ask ...
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

shadowborne

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 10:46:07 AM »

Hmm, both being dominant I am not sure is a case. Amy only seems to get aggressive when you try to stop her from doing something she REALLY wants to do. Silver has jumped on Amy 2 or 3 times but has never tried to bite her, has scared Amy half to death causing fur slippage but never bite. Sometimes I have seen them side by side and amy is grooming her working from the middle of the head down her side and back till silver just kind of hops off and they go there own little way for a bit before touching noses. They turned there heads once and looks like there mouth's touched or teeth or something but didn't get a good look and they kind of hopped off after. Is this a good sign? I saw somewhere where they recommend leaving them alone for a short period of time, maybe with a web cam or something to watch from another room, to see how they react? Is that recommended?

As stated they do well, Silver will sometimes seem to go after amy and amy just runs off then comes up and will nudge Silver some. Not sure if Silver likes her or not but hasn't tried to bite her or really hurt her.

Thanks for the advise! This is helpful and I hope they take up, Amy is such a good little girl and loves everyone and Silver.....well she's a spoiled little princess. My father has spoiled her rotten lol.

shadowborne

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 10:23:30 AM »

Alright, another update now that the site is back up (Anyone know what happened?).

Amy and Silver have been out together for about 2 weeks and there have been no fights. Amy loves to groom Silver, she always works on the face first, and there is no noises until Amy works on Silver's ears then silver gives her a little bark and amy stops. Silver will tilt her head and everything for amy to groom and they touch teeth several times. They ran into the same small cage, we have it with a water bottle and so they have a place to pee instead of the carpet, and silver climbed up onto amy and started to groom her head once and hasn't since. I am not sure other then dominance why she always climbs up on her but wonder when they stops, I have double and triple checked and they are female and 2 vets agree. Any suggestions for more to try to make sure they will be compatible? We left them alone for a bit with a radio set to transmit to us so we could hear anything happening to see how they would do out of sight and no sounds were heard and no blood or slipped fur when we got back.

That is all I have right now, any suggestions or comments are always appreciated and I hope everyone has a good day.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up