Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I just got a new chin for my other both are male  (Read 13408 times)

FluffBall

• Mellissia
  • Appreciation points: 1
  • Buddy L & Snowball
    • View Profile
I just got a new chin for my other both are male
« on: July 11, 2006, 09:30:41 PM »

I just got a new chin (snowball) for my other chin (buddy L) both are male and snowball is younger than buddy L and they are still getting to know each other i think that they are still trying to see who the dominant one is? they are hissing and sniffing eachother and a little taste on the ears. I think that they are getting along ok for it being the first full 24 hrs they are together. snowball is albino aqh they are grooming each other it is sooooooooooooooo cute and budd L is  a standard grey well i was told that you can put males together as they are social little guys is this true? and what would happen if i got a female later on would there be fighting?
2 Kitties
2 chinnies
2 fish tanks
1 ferret
5 kids (includes hubby)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: I just got a new chin for my other both are male
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 07:48:58 AM »

You can put males together but you really have to watch and its best to keep them in cages side by side for a few days first.  If they are put together too fast they will fight and it is many times to the death.   If you haven't seen any fighting in 24 hours you might be fine, but just because they go together OK at first it doesn't mean they like each other.  I just tried introducing two males here.  There were in cages side by side for a few days then I let them play in the bathroom together.  All seemed well so I put them in the cage together.  They both stayed on the second floor together for hours. They even layed together.  Then right as I was about to deem it a success the new chinchilla went downstairs and sniffed the old chinchilla's house.  He felt violated, I guess, because he jumped on the new chinchilla and started biting and pulling out fur.  It happened so fast the new chinchilla couldn't even defend himself! It was a good thing I was still watching and was able to separate them.  Had I not been there the new chinchilla probaby would have been dead the next morning.  Or at least very badly hurt.

Females are actually the dominate sex in the species and a female in heat (even in another cage in the same room) will cause happy male cage mates to fight.  You never want to house more than one male with a female.  That is a sure disaster.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 09:14:02 AM »

::silly:: Hi Fluff Ball,

Jamie's 100% right!  You were very lucky they did not fight.  ::nod::  Chins (regardless of the sex) need some introduction time ... they do not accept change graciously.   :-\  It is surprising your first chin did not look at the second one as an invasion of his privacy and/or become jealous because of the attention you were giving the new chin.   :-[

If you put a female in with two males, when she goes in season, you would probably loose one or both males and maybe even the female.  It's called "survival of the fittest".  Once a chin fight starts, they can all get involved.

The female doesn't have to even be in the same cage ... they may not be able to get to her at all, but they will kill each other to have a chance later.

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 09:15:35 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

null

• Salty Cracker
  • Humping the shoe that feeds
    • View Profile
    • Three Rivers Chinchilla
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 12:05:37 PM »

It depends on age too. Chins under six months old are much easier to introduce to each other.

FluffBall

• Mellissia
  • Buddy L & Snowball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 08:00:33 PM »

:doh: well it is wed and i got the  ::silly::  on mon and they just had a few hissing words those few hrs but no fighting and yesterday they were grooming each other? and today the same thing and they are sitting together and they are soooo cute together.  the one thing that i did do was when i got the new  ::silly::  i had to give him a bath and then blew dry him on cool heat as to not get too hot and that took like forever and after i was done he fell asleep on the top of my chest in the other room and then after i couldn't sit still anymore i put him in the cage and watched them play together and hiss at each other i also gave buddy L. a lot of attention the first  ::silly:: so there would be no jealousy i guess i got very lucky but i theink buddy L. is around a year or 2 he was given to me because the people that had him were moving and couldn't have pets and i don't think that they really played with him either and snowball came from someone with a lot of petsand he is probably around 6-9 months
2 Kitties
2 chinnies
2 fish tanks
1 ferret
5 kids (includes hubby)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 06:41:43 AM »

You gave him a water bath?  Please don't ever do that! That is dangerous.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

tinabeana

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 08:57:24 AM »

I've read that if they are extremely dirty (as in cases of chins rescued from a disgustingly neglectful home) it is okay to give them a water bath by patting them down with a warm wet wash cloth until the soiled fur was clean and then blow drying them with cool air.

My vet told me that maybe that was okay in a serious situation but he didn’t recommend it. When Maggie had diarrhea, the fur on her underside had gotten soiled and feet were caked. He said a better option was to go down to Whole Foods and get some pure cornstarch baby powder and to gently rub it into the soiled parts and repeat this until their fur was clean and he showed me how to spot clean her nose and feet with a wet cotton swap.

I was really uncomfortable holding her because she doesn’t care for it and she kicked a little but only at first. I think rubbing her feet actually calmed her down. She has to be happier with clean feet anyways.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 09:13:28 AM »

::silly:: Hi Fluff Ball,

:doh: I don't know how that little one is so lucky.  ::)  A water bath for a chinchilla is only in the most extreme occasions and only when advised to do so by the vet.  :-[  ::nod::  Chinchillas can chill and get sick very quickly when they get wet.   :( 

What TinaBeana suggested is good and/or repeated dust baths.

Chinchillas take dust baths only, please!

Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 11:23:03 AM »

Another way to clean dirty chinchillas is with a baby wipe.

When I got my rescue, Charlie, he really stunk! It was horrible.  I'm thinking it was from a very dirty cage plus the fact that he had never been dusted...EVER!!.  I gave him a fresh dust bath every day for a week and that fixed it.  If he hadn't had injuries I would have added dessenex to the dust bath.  Its a good fungus deterant and it smells really nice!!  Since he had open wounds we chose not to do that.  (FYI- usually you don't dust a chinchilla with an open wound but in his case the area was so covered with ointment and was getting cleaning so frequently we opted to go ahead and dust. It lifted his spirits and he certainly needed it!)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 11:33:34 AM »

Congrats on your new chin.
I have never had any problems with wet baths on the rare occasion, seems you did as you should. Nice to know that folks do, do their homework.  ::nod::
I read of a gal who would wet bath her chins regularly, and have to wonder how the little darlings do with such stress. To say nothing of how it effects to their skin and fur.
They really don't need it and it doesn't do anything for their coats, and yes beats them out trying to get dry. He'll sure enjoy a dust bath after that ::nod::
Oh ya pics please :::grins::
Debbie.nl.ca

chinchillagrl06

• The Petting Zoo
  • Appreciation points: 3
  • Monkeybuny
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 01:10:29 PM »

I was told by one of the ranchers at a show that they know of a lady who wet bathes all of her chins a couple of weeks before she shows.  ???
I wont mention any names, but appearantly she doesn't do badly at shows either. I am not sure exactly what placings her chins have made though.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 01:12:02 PM by chinchillagrl06 »
Sarah (^..^)
& the Zoo Crew
Chinnies, Suggies, Kitties, and a Bunny.

FluffBall

• Mellissia
  • Buddy L & Snowball
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 08:56:01 PM »

I just wanted to add that when i brought snowball who is albino that he was more of a moasic beige than all white and his pink ears were not pink they were brown and that i used baby shampoo and a bit of conditioner on him he actually liked the bath and sitting on my lap being blow dried i think he liked all the attention and the fact that he was getting clean.  he was in a very very dirty cage ( you know the area were your chin go potty the most and has that yucky buildup of brown /black gunk on the wire well that was all over the cage were i got him) and he shared a cage with 5 other chins.  so he really needed that bath Buddy L however never had a water bath only the dust kind.  This is the two guys sitting on the top shelf together. they are always together like they were attached at the hips or something
2 Kitties
2 chinnies
2 fish tanks
1 ferret
5 kids (includes hubby)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 07:08:45 AM »

Cute.  He is a beautiful Pink White.  That is one of my favorite colors....Well they are all my favorite colors.  ;D

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 03:26:06 AM »

::silly::Hi FluffBall,

With the description you are giving
snowball who is albino that he was more of a moasic beige than all white and his pink ears were not pink they were brown
I might have been tempted on the bath, also.  He is looking good now. ::nod::  You were lucky it was not stressful for him ... but from what you describe
he was in a very very dirty cage ( you know the ...  yucky buildup of brown /black gunk on the wire well that was all over the cage were i got him) and he shared a cage with 5 other chins.
it was probably a relaxing relief.
     But, I still never recommend water baths, unless directed to do so by your vet, because it can be dangerous (stress, chill, ect.). It may take a bit longer with dust baths, but it will work.   ::nod:: 

Looks like they are good friends and have someone who loves them and will take good care of them!  ;)

Jo Ann[/i]

P.S. He's not an albino, he's a pink white.   :blush2:

My Little Jamie

FluffBall

• Mellissia
  • Buddy L & Snowball
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 10:11:43 PM »

I though that if an animal had red pink eyes and was all white that that meant that it was an albino?  what does an albino chin look like or is a pink white what they call and albino and if it is will his life span be shorter?  i am confused ::shrug::
2 Kitties
2 chinnies
2 fish tanks
1 ferret
5 kids (includes hubby)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up