Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible hair ring?  (Read 6029 times)

Beth

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Possible hair ring?
« on: January 11, 2008, 10:14:27 AM »

Hi everyone!  I know it sounds like I'm neurotic about my chin, and maybe I am!  But, I've noticed Louie is cleaning his genital area a few times a day.  He's not sexually mature yet, I don't think, I've never seen him humping anything, and he's only about 7 months old.  Also, it's kinda impossible for me to hold him to inspect that area.  Is this worth picking him up from inside the cage (and causing a great deal of stress for him) to check for one?  Or is it unlikely that he has one at such a young age?

Thanks guys!

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
Re: Possible hair ring?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 01:59:09 PM »

Hair rings usually only develop during the mating process. You have to think of the moisture mixed with two chins' very thick hair. If you do not have him with a female, you shouldn't have to worry about hair rings.

****But that is just for future reference, because I read how Louie is now LuLu!****
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 04:12:57 PM »

If you do not have him with a female, you shouldn't have to worry about hair rings.
Not always the case, I have a male that's never been with a female though he is in the room with females, he's not the best at cleaning himself so I do need to keep an eye on him.
I've moved him to my sons house for a spell to check this matter out.
He loves my son, and has always been kind of his. I'll be sure to let you know if he still gets hair rings.
Could take a few weeks ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 06:15:57 PM »

Wow, I did not know that. Since I have always read about them in reference to mating, I assumed that was the sole cause. I learn something new everyday!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 02:44:51 PM »

Chong cleans himself very thoroughly would I still need to check him? He's coming up to about the right age for his first one but I'm a bit worried about doing it. I don't want to hurt him or his feelings. He's not got a mate but he has tried to mate Cheech. he spends about five minutes cleaning his thingie, it's quite funny to watch him but if he catches us he stops and looks all embarrassed. :blush2:

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 12:55:22 PM »

I would think even in cleaning they could catch hair on IT. :blush2:
They pull it all the way out so it has to go in and can catch fur on the way back.
I haven't seen it as a big problem and have only found a coulple in all my years.
Thing is you may find some are prone, and those should be kelp a close watch on.
Most my males do a perfect job cleaning themselves.
Debbie.nl.ca

abyssa

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 08:42:41 PM »

My Gandolf got a hair ring earlier this year. He is 4 though. It's our first experience of him getting one. I just noticed one day that is penis was sticking out and his fur was filthy from him peeing on himself. further investigation lead me to see the hair ring. I carefully cut it off. You could tell he was in distress, just not acting himself. In a few hours, he was playing like normal. I felt bad because it took me a few days to actually "look" at why his penis was out. My chin had to suffer until I could figure it out. I felt so bad, but at least he recovered very well.

As for your being to young I don't know. I know mine was doing his business pretty young... and all the time. I can't remember at what age in months when he be became hormonial.
Pages: [1]   Go Up