Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eye problems  (Read 2146 times)

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Eye problems
« on: December 29, 2007, 12:03:29 AM »

I think M'noke might have an eye infection, but it's 11pm so thought I'd see what people think as I can't do anything else about it right now.

It's not swollen or wet, but she has a long yellowish thin strand of goo coming out of her tear duct.  I wiped it away, and within minutes more was coming out.  She doesn't seem irritated by it, but I can't imagine it's a good thing!

I read that they can get dust in their eyes, and that some just have genetics for eye problems.  Any ideas what it could be?

They were supposed to go to the vet yesterday, but our boiler exploded so instead we cleaned up a flood.  it is being replace tomorrow, so hopefully I can get them to the vet afterwards. 

I appreciate any help.  Thanks

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
Re: Eye problems
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 01:33:35 AM »

Tea bags are what I have used when one of my chin would get an eye problem.  A warm rung out tea bag really works wonders believe it or not.  I will hold it on their eye for a few minutes then put a few drops of saline solution in it until I could get them to the vet.  Hope this helps ;)

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 11:49:47 AM »

It's the next morning, and M'noke doesn't have any stuff in her eye.  I was wondering if that would be their way of tearing since they don't like getting wet?  I thought maybe she got dust in her eye.  Any thoughts?

I don't think I could hold her down long enough for a tea bag and saline.  She's only been here a month and a half. 

Don't worry, the vet is still in order.  Unfortunately, the plumber is two hours late! 

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 01:25:46 AM »

It is always better to be safe than sorry, but I have had my chin get an irritated eye from the dust. I rushed him to the vet the next morning even though it had appeared to clear up. I am a little overprotective. He just had moisture, though, no puss.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up