Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I had a dog / chinchilli question..  (Read 3014 times)

lesliesuniquecharm

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Unique Charm
I had a dog / chinchilli question..
« on: December 23, 2007, 12:03:20 AM »

My boyfriend wants a dog, he loves roo & all but he wants something he can hold & pet, etc, etc.. I*m NOT bringing anything into this house that may harm the health of my Roo. He wanted me to ask you guys if it would be ok to get a meduim dog? Will this alarm Roo in anyway? He*s quiet a character! Last night he was playing & he jumped on my shoulder & hung out for like 15 minutes, then jumped on my head & ontop of the desk..hehe he*s so funny!! He doesnt like green apples. tried that tonight. I*ve decided to stop giving him raisins & dried cranberries just because.  I*ve decided to only use it for treats. This is how i*ve found i can catch him to put it in his cage. All i do is give him 1 & he lets me grab him & take him back to his cage while he munches.. ;D

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
Re: I had a dog / chinchilli question..
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 03:32:04 AM »

I dont think other animals are harmful to chins as long as they are all up to date with their shots, chins can be exposed and become very sick if exposed to animals that have been immunized.  I have a tea cup pomeranian who loves my chins and they are buddies same with my cats I am just always careful and the other animals health and keep an extra eye on things! ;)

Esleyoga

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 12:27:23 AM »

I have a chin and we got a dog (pit bull/lab mix) several months afterwards.  Quincy -  my chin - is very interested in Princess - my dog.  She wants to sniff noses and check out this new thing.  Princess wants to check out Quincy too - and eat her!!!  She tried to bite Quincy through the cage shortly after we got her.  Needless to say, Quincy is never let out of her cage while Princess is in the house.  Just keep in mind that some dogs are hunters of small animals by nature (as is the case with my dog) and will never "get over" that aspect of their breeding. If you do get a dog, keeping the dog apart from your chin may be the best thing for them.

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 06:18:30 PM »

My one cat has no interest in my Donny - chinchilla. The other one though, is always interested and at the sound of me opening the cage he comes running and stares up at the cage. I never let them run around together, in fear of my cat biting him or even the other way around. But its always funny watching my chin chase my cat around in his invincible ball!
Donny Chin!

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 10:38:19 AM »

I don't know about dogs, but my cats are always interested in the chins.  Although there was a night the chins got out and no one was harmed, I lock the cats up when the girls are out.  The cats jump in the play pen, and just because nothing has happened, doesn't mean it won't.  On the other hand, my sister has ferrets, and they sleep with the cats.  From kitten hood she trained her cats not to eat the criters they have.  It will depend on the animal, you might get a dog who's a hunter at heart like my mom's, or one whose a push over.  My friend has a dog bigger than her, and her parrot has dominated it completely.   ???
Good luck!

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 11:54:27 PM »

Perhaps this will help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hptITiprWok

They might look like my girls, but they're not!

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 12:00:07 PM »

That video is great  :)
Donny Chin!
Pages: [1]   Go Up