Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New here! Lots of questions.....  (Read 2416 times)

rodafer

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
New here! Lots of questions.....
« on: December 07, 2007, 08:15:26 PM »

Hi everyone! I have been looking for a chin group that I felt I would like for a while now, and feel I have found one! Yay.
I have one female chin, her name is Herman. Ha ha. The people we adopted her from ( had no idea how needy chins are poor thing) thought she was a male all along. So when we got her, we named her Herman, because we like to talk to her in German. It just fit. On the 2nd day I found out she was a girl. She is cool with having a male name.  rofl
I love her to pieces and spend so much time with her. I want her to have the best life ever and am proud that I can offer her so much. I am an animal rights activist and I dont usually own pets for that reason, and would NEVER buy from a pet store. But I am so happy to have her. She has literally changed my life silly as it sounds, but my role as an activist is now based on her.
I have lots of opinion questions.
I know apple wood is okay, and she LOVES it. Can she have it in her home with her at all times, or do I limit it. I know she needs lots to chew on, but can it always be apple wood?
Also she loves rose hips. How often can she have one of those? I know people give their chins raisins and what not, but I find rose hips more organic which I prefer for her. But I just wondered how often I can treat her to them.
Also, are there places where you all get your apple wood, rose hips? Or if any of you are into organic feed for your chins, do you recommend a place? Thanks alot and I am super excited to get to know everyone!

Sillychinchilly

• Owned by Pixel
  • Appreciation points: 0
  • Miss Pixel!!
    • View Profile
Re: New here! Lots of questions.....
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 09:55:48 PM »

Pixel has wood in her cage MOST of the time. I take it out once in a while to switch and don't put it back in for a day or so. Also the rose hips, she doesn't get more than one a day. If she gets one treat, she doesn't get any other treat the rest of the day, no shredded wheat, no raisins. Hay and pellets only.
Hope that helps.
Oh, Pixel also has a Cuttle Bone in her cage ALL the time, which she likes to chew and is also a good source of calcium.
~*~ Annie ~*~
        ~*~

Sillychinchilly

• Owned by Pixel
  • Appreciation points: 0
  • Miss Pixel!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »

Oh, and welcome to the Chin Club! We hope your stay is long, and very enjoyable!!
~*~ Annie ~*~
        ~*~

Leslie

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 11:51:38 AM »

Hello!  The way the chin has changed your life is totally, exactly what my chin did to my life too!  I have always been against fur but I tell you....when I see fur coats now I almost cry.  I'm so passionate about my pet!  You're in the right place :)

I don't really have answers to your questions though, I just wanted to say hello.  I would suggest buying some organic raisins though, cause chins love them more than they love anything else in the world.  They're also good for keeping their poops regular (one a day only).  Rosehips are dry so they don't help in that sense.  I bought my rosehips from a health food store.  My general rule of thumb for treats is one treat a day, and I try to rotate the type of treat I give.  I like to give them rolled oats too, they THINK they're a treat and they go nuts for them.  That way it feels like they're getting more than one treat a day, but the oats are actually healthy.

I wish I could find apple branches.  I live in a city that sprays chemicals for mosquitoes all summer long and poisons the environment  :flames: so I can't use any of the wood here.  Gross hey?

Sometimes people question me when they see my chins about having animals in cages, and how I as a vegetarian and animal lover could do that.....it makes me really angry.  I suppose I can see where they are coming from, but like you said, I as well am proud that I can give them the best life possible in captivity.  People just really like to argue sometimes.  :doh:

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 04:15:19 PM »

I get my apple wood from my boyfriend's grandparent's garden, so I know it's completely safe, but pine is easier to get hold of.
Chinchillas are amazing pets, they're so intelligent so they can really return your love. I know how you feel about pets, but I personally feel that if you give them a rich, loving environment and meet all their needs then you can see that they're happy. It may not be their natural environment, but in the case of chinchillas their natural environment is all but gone. I treat my three pets like children and if I ever do have children of my own they will have a lot to live up to!  :::grins::

Welcome.  :)

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 02:27:17 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

I buy organic rosehips on eBay in bulk.  You can give one a day.  Rosehips are an excellent source of Vitamin C and, like people and most other mammals, your chinchilla will pass any unused Vitamin C through her urine.  For apple wood, I tend to buy that in bulk from various chinchilla breeders who sell supplies.  You may be able to find that on eBay as well.   ::think::  She can have access to only apple wood if that's what she wants and that's what you want to give her.  There is nothing that says she HAS to have other wood.  But if she stops chewing on the apple wood, I would suggest trying to give another wood to encourage her to chew.  She should have wood in her cage at all times for chewing.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up