Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To eat or not to eat? The Chin menu question.  (Read 2435 times)

Gaianhowler

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
To eat or not to eat? The Chin menu question.
« on: December 02, 2007, 11:15:01 PM »

Alright, when I let my little guy out of his cage, of course he's going to want to run around and explore/bite everything...I realize that. Thing is though, my chin and I share a room. I have lots of strange odds and ends lying around my room, and I always try and clean up before I let him out. However, he always seems to find his way into things I clearly don't approve of. So, my question is, out of the following list, which things, if any, are detrimental to my little pal's health?

Paper - Just regular white computer paper, no ink or anything else, completely untouched.
Coins - Particularly pennies. He's never even picked at one for more than a second however.
Guitar strings (steel/nickel)
Cardboard - I presume the cardboard isn't a big deal at all, just so long as it isn't real old cardboard that might contain bacteria
Cords - I know all chins chew on these, I just want to know how much/little of an effect they would have on him if I didn't catch him in time
Leather boots
Incense cone - the stinker really seemed to like the one he found. Albeit I snatched it from him as soon has he took his first nibble. I clean these things up asap when he gets out.
Molding - particularly along the bottom of the walls and along the doors. I imagine the threat of him consuming the paint is the worst
Bra Straps - He seems to love my girlfriends bra straps, although I don't think he's ever really taken a big bite out of one
Mouse food - mainly the sunflower seeds. he loves these, and I've given him one or two before when I was out of treats. are these okay?

Alright, enough with the potentially dangerous things he (attempts) to get into, now I have a few questions about his regular diet.

I currently have been giving Tait "Sunseed" brand "Vita + Plus Chinchilla Formula," which contains condensed pellets of an entire cocktail of grasses and meals, ranging from compressed alfalfa meal, soybean meal, oats, ground flax, choppsed timothy hay, and a ridiculous variety of vitamins. The bag description screams healthy, but I thought I'd see if any of you more experienced owners have ever tried it.

As far as hay goes, I still have KAYTEE brand Orchard Grass that came with him...is this acceptable?

Thanks in advance!

Misskitz

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: To eat or not to eat? The Chin menu question.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 07:04:34 PM »

Paper - Just regular white computer paper, no ink or anything else, completely untouched.
A- I would say no.
Coins - Particularly pennies. He's never even picked at one for more than a second however.
He should never eat them, they could cause a blockage and kill your chin
Guitar strings (steel/nickel)
Is he eating them? I would say these are deffiantly a NO
Cardboard - I presume the cardboard isn't a big deal at all, just so long as it isn't real old cardboard that might contain bacteria.
Are you talking about like toliet paper rolls or a actual sheet of card-board.
Cords - I know all chins chew on these, I just want to know how much/little of an effect they would have on him if I didn't catch him in time.
Cords Can shoot an electeric charge through a chinnie (Or any animal) body, killing them or causing brain damage or nervous system issues.
Leather boots
Leather is dangerous if swallowed.
Incense cone - the stinker really seemed to like the one he found. Albeit I snatched it from him as soon has he took his first nibble. I clean these things up asap when he gets out.
I dont know what these are, someone else could answer.
Molding - particularly along the bottom of the walls and along the doors. I imagine the threat of him consuming the paint is the worst
Your true about him consuming paint, I would watch out for the molding.
Bra Straps - He seems to love my girlfriends bra straps, although I don't think he's ever really taken a big bite out of one.
Fabric is like the leather. He could chip away at the plastic things and cause a blockage though.
Mouse food - mainly the sunflower seeds. he loves these, and I've given him one or two before when I was out of treats. are these okay?
Sunflower seeds are high in fat, though some people feed them.
Alright, enough with the potentially dangerous things he (attempts) to get into, now I have a few questions about his regular diet.

I currently have been giving Tait "Sunseed" brand "Vita + Plus Chinchilla Formula," which contains condensed pellets of an entire cocktail of grasses and meals, ranging from compressed alfalfa meal, soybean meal, oats, ground flax, choppsed timothy hay, and a ridiculous variety of vitamins. The bag description screams healthy, but I thought I'd see if any of you more experienced owners have ever tried it.
I feed the sunseed Vita + Plus Chin Formula too. Except I put in my hay and like 5 dried raisins (Making sure that there not in everyday.) I also mix in some Show rabbit food.
As far as hay goes, I still have KAYTEE brand Orchard Grass that came with him...is this acceptable?
I feed Timothy.
Thanks in advance!

I hope I helped answer most of your questions. If watching out for all of these things may jumble yourself I suggest a play-pen until you get the "area" chinnie proof.  :)
"don't let nobody tell your life is over......be every color that you are!"

rodafer

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 11:29:02 PM »

Sounds like there is danger for your chin where ever he is. I suggest a play pen area that is safe as well. Until my chin got used to our home, I put up a baby gate in our hallway and closed all the doors. Then I sat in there with her and played. That way I was able to monitor her, and all that she could get her teeth on was the molding, which I didnt allow. Hope this helps!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 07:48:04 PM »

I would say clean the room :D :2funny:
Really find a safe place for him to run, and never take your eyes off him.
Debbie.nl.ca

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 11:13:30 AM »

I would suggest finding one open, clean room, without too many dangerous items to let him run around. If you cannot manage that, I would suggest maybe using a Play pen or get one of those gates to set up a play area. You have to make sure you get one that the chin will not be able to get out of or climb out of. The chin also needs to be supervised. Blow in his face or I sometimes use a dog's squeaky ball (mine hate the high pitched squeal) when he is doing something wrong. My oldest chin responds to a very deep toned "NO". But he is my special one that comes when he is called, and does what he is told. He follows me around like a puppy dog!  :::grins::  I would just say, stay on him. Practice makes perfect!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up