Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanting out...  (Read 3435 times)

Gaianhowler

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Wanting out...
« on: November 26, 2007, 03:55:02 PM »

Hello all.

Almost exactly a month ago I purchased my first chinchilla for my girlfriend and I to take care of. All in all, he's energetic, well tempered, and cute as hell.

When I first got him, he warmed up to me putting my hand in his cage after a day or so. I'd set a raisin in the middle of my hand, move it up some, etc. However, I still haven't got to "hold" him unless it's by the base of the tail.

I ended up letting him out to explore my room a day or two after getting him. At first, he would run around the room, climbing and jumping, letting out all of his energy, then eventually returning to his cage on his own accord. Now however, I feel as though we've let him out far too much without letting him get used to us first.

Now, as soon as I open the cage to pet him, clean, feed, etc, he tries to get out. Every time he gets excited, he runs to the side of the cage and sticks paws at the air furiously, wanting to get out. It seems as though he no longer will pay us any attention unless we're the magical hand that's letting him get out of his cage.

So, my question is: How can we get him to stop instantly darting for the cage door as soon as we open it? ... and Secondly: How can I get him to warm up enough for me to hold him without him frantically trying to get down so he can run around?

It's not that he acts scared or tries to hide from us, it's just that he simply seems to rather run around than let us play with him personally.

Thanks in advance!

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
Re: Wanting out...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 08:56:19 PM »

I would recommend opening his cage as much as possible WITHOUT letting him out.  This will let him know that, just because the door is open, that doesn't mean he gets to play.  Also, make sure that his play time is at the same time every day.  Chinchillas respond best to routine.

He may never like for you to hold him.  Chinchillas, in generally, are not cuddly pets.  However, you were on the right track in the beginning!  And nothing says that you can't keep doing what you had started.  :)

Best of luck!

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 11:13:33 AM »

This is what I found works:
I get a chair set up next to the door of the cage so that when I sit down my legs are on level with the door. When I open the cage I let Cheech hop out onto my legs but stop her from moving off me. If she gets scared she can run back into her cage, but if she stays on me she gets tickled. After a while I move my arms around her to hug her to my stomach. Sometimes she hides her head between my arm and my side, sometimes she won't let me do this at all and sometimes the only way for me to hold her is to have her feet on one hand and hold her belly with the other one with her front paws on top of that hand and her back against my stomach/chest. This is the only way my other little one lets me hold him at all. I just do this a little bit every day or every other day with a raisin to reward her at he end. Maybe you could try something similar?

lesliesuniquecharm

• View Profile
    • Unique Charm
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 03:24:13 PM »

Me & my boyfriend have owned Roo for 3 weeks. Thats what we did at first, then he got behind the tv & wouldnt come out & we stressed him out by trying to grab him. It scared the little guy to no end.  :doh: After that day i spent a few days putting my hand in the cage and giving scratches. he would crawl on my arm and i*d hold him for like 30 seconds and he*d want down. I kept doing this for 3 days he improved but he still thinks he can come out whenever the door opens. lil stinker.  ::) It takes time and patience, he*ll make ya feel so bad with his cute lil face saying just let me out for a minute. Last night he just started letting my boyfriend have anything to do with him. Whenever we go to pick him up to put him back, just so he*s not scared we say ''i*ma getcha!'' he sits still & lets us carry him back to the cage. then he gets a ''yummy''. He loooooves the yellow chews. well..good luck!

Gaianhowler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 07:21:01 PM »

Well, we've tried letting him out on a more regular schedule now, but it hasn't really helped.

Now the poor guy sits in his cage and whines at us to let him out (which is hard to resist...he's freaking adorable.)

Gaianhowler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 08:31:47 PM »

As in update, he's running around the room right now...We let him out to change his bedding for almost 40 minutes, and when he reintroduced him, he immediately turned around and tried to dart out of the cage.

The little guy has escaped 4 times in the last 20 minutes...

He's become infatuated with the window in my room. He stands on the window sill and whines, acting like he wants to go outside.

Any suggestions on getting him to stay in his cage?

lesliesuniquecharm

• View Profile
    • Unique Charm
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 10:00:40 PM »

They can look so cute. all that fluff it*s like they look atcha like please lemme out, it wont hurt anyone. When we let roo out he runs around then sometimes he*ll get behind the tv & take a nap then he*s out again. it*s really easy to scoop the lil guys up when they crawl all over ya. Roo's started this thing where he climbs on me & up to my shoulder & just sits for a second but before he jumps down he gives me kisses.  ;D How long have you guys had him? Ya gotta make sure he*s use to you, if not it*s a pain & it takes time so hes not skidish & always feels the need to hide.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 12:13:23 PM »

Maybe give him more to play with in the cage.
He will learn just keep the routine going. He just likes out more.
I have some that like their cage more,but most just want out.
My violet will climb all over me to get out the second the door opens, but knows he has to come to me first and I will let him down. ;)
I would not let him out until he comes to me and I can put him on the floor.
He maybe easier to handle afterhis run, and try to take him out during the day when he sleepy.Just handle him and put him bakc with a small treat.
You want him to love coming to you as you will either let him out, give him a treat or even a dust bath.
You have to make yourself his means of getting the things he wants.
Don't let him snowball you, they are good at that will all the cutness, whinning and fussing. ;D
He knows what he's doing, he's training you.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 08:21:07 PM »

Hang lots of wooden things in the cage. Like Debbie says, make it more interesting in the cage than out of it. Cardboard tubes, wooden ladders, dangly wooden parrot toys...

Gaianhowler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 10:49:03 PM »

Well, as I type this, his little butt is sprinting around my room at high speeds.

He's gotten a bit better now...he still wants to get out every time I open the cage, but he's become a lot easier to control. Thing is, I let him out fairly often, but IMO, not enough. Now I have him on a fairly regular schedule of getting out, and it has seemed to have helped.
Pages: [1]   Go Up