Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: temperature problem!  (Read 1549 times)

kristy

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
temperature problem!
« on: October 26, 2007, 02:17:55 AM »

its starting to get cold here in canada, and i live in an condominium, and they switched from air con to heat already!  I was wondering what are some of the choices to keep my chinchilla cool in the winter while i have heat on...  cuz im keeping my windows open in the room where i place my chinchilla, yet wen it gets colder, i would have to turn on the heat..... so what can i do...  :-[

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: temperature problem!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 07:04:29 AM »

Keep the cage away from the vents so it isn't blowing right on them.  If you are worried that the room will get too hot is there another room you don't use very much you could move the cage too and block the vents in that room?  You can add marble slabs to the cage to give a cool place to lay, however, if the room temp is too warm that won't really help.
As long as the heat isn't blowing right in the cage and the room isn't more than around 75 degrees F, you chinchilla should be fine.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
Re: temperature problem!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 04:41:25 PM »

You can always go to Walmart and get some indoor/outdoor thermometers for $3 (they are round and look like small wall clocks) and stick them near the cage  and in other areas of the room to keep up with the temp.

I have several all around my chin room because it varies in different parts of the room. You can find the perfect spot that way.

Follow what Jamie says because thats basically all you can do. And don't keep the house like an oven.  ;)
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up