Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new chin with a problem  (Read 3260 times)

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
new chin with a problem
« on: October 23, 2007, 07:29:03 PM »

I was feeding and watering my chins tonight when I noticed one of my new beige females had a funny looking lip. It almost looks like it was bit by a litter mate or something. I took pictures but they are a bit blurry. between her nose and lip is bald and a little mis-shaped. I hope you can see it from the pictures but before we take her to the vet I wanted some feedback on what it could be.

Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: new chin with a problem
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 06:53:12 AM »

I can't tell from the pictures.  Is she in with another chinchilla?  If so that is probably just what happened and unless it is a wound I wouldn't stress her with a vet visit.  If the skin looks red and dry it could be the beginning of fungus.  That often starts around the face. If you think that could be it quarantine her right away and begin treatment.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 03:43:03 PM »

She is alone and she is 3 months old so she may have been kept with a litter mate but the area does not look fresh. It almost looks like an old scar and is not shaped the same as the other side of her lip. Would a fungus be able to miss-shape skin like that? It's like a chunk of her was taken out and it healed with now pinkish skin in an abnormal shape. Not really dry or red like what would be caused by fungus that I have seen, so far. I am checking her often to see if it does turn red and I will quarantine her right away and have the powder to treat her with.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
central North Carolina

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 05:01:20 PM »

I had Weeza quarantined just incase to protect my herd- then decided to go ahead and see the vet so if it was a fungus I could get it before it spred. I won't be taking her back there- but I don't think I will need to.

I just told them I thought it was a scar from a bite that was healed- but I wanted to make sure it wasn't a fungus. I was really worried they didn't know how to handle her and he had to take her and weigh her so I watched through the window and they commented that I was staring so I opened the door and said I wanted to watch b/c I could tell he didn't know how to hold her (they wrapped her in a towel to weigh her). He brought her in holding her like a ball and she looks like she's been in a war with shaggy looking fur now. I was mad they wouldn't do it right and it was making her hot.

The vet acted like I was crazy b/c I didn't seem to think they knew how to do their job- which they didn't. I said I didn't want them to hurt her because it is very easy and they can get away from you even easier. They still acted like the way I said to hold them was wrong and never listened.  :flames:

They plucked a few hairs to do a fungal culture on and it will be 10 days till we know. She wasn't worried about it tho- she agreed it was probably a scar. But then she asked if I knew they needed baths and I got angry because she was beautiful until he mishandled her. They did not even know chins came in more colors then just grey either.

Anyways- I'm quarantining her until we know for sure. And I'm still searching for a good vet for my babies to be seen at.  ::tickedoff::

I was suprised she didn't spray, bark or bite them. She's little miss attitude.. thats why shes Weeza.  ::nod::
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
central North Carolina

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 05:25:19 PM »

At least he knew enough to do the right sort of test.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 05:28:52 PM »

That's Right  ;)
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
central North Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 06:39:32 AM »

::silly::  If you find a good exotic pet vet that is familiar with chinchillas, it really makes a huge difference!  What state are you located in?   My old vet transferred to Florida ... she was the best I've ever found. 

::wave:: Jo Ann

I wish I had realized who you were at the Field Day in Walterboro on the 20th. 
You did a good job as a chin handler.   ::nod:: 
I need to get your name, your boyfriend's name and the other girl's name for the article I am writing on the Field Day/Show for my website.
Were you the one with dark hair or the one with lighter hair?
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 07:55:35 AM »

We finally found the best vet around. He is known statewide... and travels too. He of course is expensive but he clearly is educated. I will still look for a vet closer- hes a 30 minute drive (sometimes 40 with traffic. Thats why I didn't go to him sooner.

Thank you  :)
I am the girl with the dark hair. I was with Iris and Lee Musselwhite a lot- we ate together and you did come sit and talk to us at the end of lunch. Our names are Megan Thames and Brandon Houts. The other girl with the lighter wavy hair I think was Crystal Shoop. I don't know where she is from tho?

I can't wait to see pictures and the article. Next show we will be able to properly meet.  :::grins::
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
central North Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up