Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My chinchillas is missing!!! I need help!  (Read 3505 times)

LeahRee

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
My chinchillas is missing!!! I need help!
« on: October 10, 2007, 10:25:35 AM »

I have just gotten two male chinchillas approximately two weeks ago. Today I decided to let them out for a few hours. So I let them out in the living room and in the kitchen. I shut the doors to the other rooms. They were doing so well. Playing for a good part of the day. I was in my bedroom tending to my rabbit that just had surgery. I went out and checked on my chinchillas and they were fine and still playing in the living room. I went back to tend to my rabbit. I came out of my bedroom to put them back in their cage. I put Vinny back in and when I looked for Franko, I couldn't find him. That was at 7:00 last night. I looked all night long. I even let Vinny back out, hoping that he would find Franko and want to play. I still haven't found him anywhere. I never left my place so i know he's still here. I am so scared that something could have happened to him. Do chinchillas normally do this? What should I do?

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Re: My chinchillas is missing!!! I need help!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 11:33:51 AM »

First off. NEVER leave them unattended while they're out. Never. However safe you think they are, they aren't. They can get to places you wouldn't even dream off. Personally I only let mine out for an hour max at a time, but everyone is different. Too much exercise is bad for a chin because they over tire themselves and they can actually die of this.

Now onto the important part, finding you chin.

Try to lure him out with treats, especially raisins. If all else fails leave piles around the rooms to tempt him out. Check behind anything no matter if you think the gap is too small. They can squeeze up behind chests of draws and get into the draws. Seriously check everything, under, behind over. Inside cushions and couches. And use treats.

And... make sure you do not open any windows, because they can jump very high, some up to six feet so no matter how secure you think they are, they aren't.

I wish you the best of luck trying to find him, so chins just like to hide. and just never leave them unattended again. Also I hope you're rabbit's okay and please don't be offended by what I have said.

ebengston

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Have You Hugged Your Critters Today?
    • View Profile
    • Seeds of Hope Pet Rescue
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 01:16:39 PM »

Did you try moving your stove to see if he got behind it? Alot of ovens have openings at the back. I would look behind the fridge also. Check your lower cabinets in the kitchen also. Perhaps there is a gap that he squeezed himself into and went to sleep. Sorry if you already looked in those places. They were a few hidey spots that came to my mind. If there are any gaps under the cupboards, look under the sink. If the plumbing comes up from under the house, is there anyway he could have gotten under the house?
I wish you lots of luck in finding your chinnie.
Elizabeth & My Critters

Abby W.

• View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 02:18:07 PM »

I have a few Houdinis at my house, so don't beat yourself up too much.  I have found the best way is to go room by room.  I close of a room and look in every possible place the chin could be, even some that seem impossible.  Chins get into the tiniest spaces and in the most ridiculous places, so check everywhere.  Then once you've cleared that room and you're sure he isn't there, go on to the next room, making sure to close off the last one.  This way your little boy won't be dodging you, running from room to room while you look for him.  Good luck!

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 02:28:13 PM »

One of my chins loves to crawl into the space in the bottom of cabnets. I tore off one of the peices of molding to get him out because I was afraid of what was in there with him. If I hadn't seen him go in I wouldn't have ever found him.

Be as quiet as possible room by room and listen for anything or look for any areas he can squeeze. Raisins and dustbaths might be able to lure him.

So sorry tho! hope you find him!
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 04:10:01 PM »

Night time is the best time to look.  Turn off all of the lights and then just sit and listen.  Hopefully with patience he will give himself away.  I had one get out in my chinchilla building and I thought I would never find him.  It turns out he climbed an 8 foot ladder and was in the loft!  I looked for 4 hours and finally had given up.  I have a bad back and I was in such pain I finally had to lay flat on the floor.  That is when I saw the little bugger looking over the edge of the loft at me.  I bet he sat there laughing the whole time!

Also, it might help to let your other one out and then give him a dust bath in the most likely area your chinchilla could be in.  Sometimes watching (and smelling) another chinchilla bathe is just too much to resist and the chinchilla will come running.

Don't forget that chinchillas are like rats.  You would be amazed at the small spaces they can fit in and the smaller the place the more they like it!  Check under your sofa to see if there is a way to get up inside of it. 

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 05:57:56 PM »

Have you had any luck?

Please let us know.  :)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 10:02:08 AM »

::silly::  Jamie is right ... Night time is the best time to catch them, if they are hiding ... place a dust box/pan/container in the center of the floor ... even if you doze off, there will hopefully be chin dust tracks to follow.   :)

::wave::  Jo Ann

Let us know when you find the little stinker.   :::grins::

Playtime is ALWAYS to be CLOSELY supervised!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 10:03:58 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chicosmama

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 12:25:05 PM »

Chico got out of his ball one night (I no longer use that unsafe thing) and then he also got out of his cage one night. I found him easily both times. The reason being is there's a lotta dark holes in that room so I didn't have to worry about him leaving. Hold a raisin around the dark holes in your house and you will find out where he is. (= (He or she.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up