Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinny + Dog, how to expalin it isn't a good idea  (Read 6896 times)

Mel Apple

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chinny + Dog, how to expalin it isn't a good idea
« on: July 05, 2006, 07:56:17 PM »

My roomates want to get a dog, a puppy to be exact.  I know it isn't a good idea, but I can't make them understand.  I expressed my concerns as soon as the first mention of them getting the pooch was uttered, but that didn't stop them from bringing it home tonight so they could introduce the two of them.

In short, Lucien doesn't like the dog.  If he wasn't lunging at the sides of his cage, he was frozen.  He didn't seem to mind as long as the dog was asleep or being still and quiet.  I know them bringing this dog home to stay is a bad idea, but I can't get them to understand it.

One of the roomies is already trying to come up with ways to keep them apart, but he doesn't realize out of sight doesn't mean out of mind...or out of smell for my lil guy.  He's convinced more exposure would help, but I don't want to put Lucien through that kind of stress.  If I could keep him upstairs, I wouldn't be as concerned, but I can't...its always too hot on the 2nd floor for him. 

My question is:  How can I make my roommate understand them bringing a dog into the apartment is a bad idea?  Stating simple facts isn't working thus far...I've argued as to why its a bad idea, of how it could effect my chinny, that keeping the dog out of the room Lucien in probably won't make a difference.  I'm out of ideas other than losing my temper, which I really don't want to do.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Chinny + Dog, how to expalin it isn't a good idea
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 06:45:32 AM »

Having a puppy isn't always a bad idea.  What type of dog did they get?  A dog bred to hunt small animals could be a problem because its instinct will always be to get at your chinchilla but other dogs can live just fine with chinchillas.  We have a chihuahua and she will sniff the cage and then go her own way.  Jo Ann on this board owns a Great Dane and her chinchillas love to climb all over it!  I have sold hundreds of chinchillas to families with cats and dogs and the chinchillas always adjust.

Can you put your chinchilla in your room and close the door? If not, can you move the cage up high so that the puppy can't reach it?  As long as the puppy is is not running all around at cage level a lot your chinchilla will be fine.  He will get used to the smell of the dog just as he has gotten used to the smell of your other room mates and any guests you bring over. As long as he is at a safe distance he will probably eventually enjoy watching the puppy run around on the floor.  Make sure the puppy is never unattended with the chinchilla and keep him out of the room if you ever have your chinchilla out playing.  Give your chinchilla a box to hide in so he doesn't have to see the dog when he doesn't want to.  Assuming your roommate's dog isn't a hunter it will all work out given a little time.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 09:56:46 AM »

::silly:: Hi Aehsia,

I can understand your concern.  I have a Great Dane (I brought home as a 6-week-old puppy) that loves my chins and they love him.  I have a pom that ignores them and they do the same to him.  How ever, I have a brother who has an aggressive dog (welsh corgi) that scared several of my chins into fur-biting that took 2 years to get over the fur-biting, but they are still skiddish.  Welsh corgis were bred to hunt weasels, I think it is.

It is like Jamie said ...
  A dog bred to hunt small animals could be a problem because its instinct will always be to get at your chinchilla but other dogs can live just fine with chinchillas. 
  It all depends on the dog/often breed of dog and the chin.   ::nod::

How old is your chin?  Do you know if it has had a bad experience with a dog before? 

Training the dog not to bark (chins do not like loud or sudden noises) is the first thing.  As Jamie said,
He (your chin) will get used to the smell of the dog just as he has gotten used to the smell of your other room mates and any guests you bring over.   

Once the dog seems to settle down (remember, this is a new home for him), I would slowly introduce them.  If the dog ever shows aggression ... you will have to keep them separated.  If they get along, over time, you will find the dog and the chins will be great company for each other.   ::nod::

::wave::
     Jo Ann 

Below is a little chin that was beat-up by her brother ... she & Lady became special friends.[/i]
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

null

• Salty Cracker
  • Appreciation points: 1
  • Humping the shoe that feeds
    • View Profile
    • Three Rivers Chinchilla
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 11:14:59 AM »

I've got an Australian Shepard. I don't allow her in the chin room, mostly for the her benifit. One of my chins hates other animals. If our dog in or the cat enter the room with AK he's up on the wire trying to rip the door off the cage to get to them. He actually bit the cat once at our old apartment. As long as the other pets are on the other side of the door my chins don't seem to care, but I wouldn't trust them to be with the chins. If the cat actually found his backbone he could certainly kill a chin.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 11:31:28 AM »

::silly::Good point, Null!

And remember, the 'dog days of summer' are fast approaching.  For those who do not know about them ... it is a time of the year animals that are not normally aggressive, become aggressive.   :-\  This includes dogs, cats and many more.  Also, if you or another animal is bitten or scratched during this time, it is much more likely to become infected.  (I know from experience ... cat scratch fever in 1996.)   

A cat or dog pinning down a chin or getting a chin in it's mouth could scare it to death, even if it didn't break bones or bleed.  :'(

It takes time for animals to get to know each other ... natural enemies can become friends sometimes.  It depends on the individual animals.  BUT, as Jamie said,
Make sure the puppy is never unattended with the chinchilla and keep him out of the room if you ever have your chinchilla out playing.

Jo Ann  [/i]

My Little Jamie

tinabeana

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 01:22:29 PM »

My cousin had an older maltese that got along famously with her chinchilla... basically they ignored each other.

Training the dog not to bark (chins do not like loud or sudden noises) is the first thing. 

Sorry this is a little off topic. Has anyone else noticed this with their chin?

Maggie looks startled when a dog barks, our neighbor starts up his motocycle or my husband even stands up quickley, but she comes running when I start up the dust buster.

I thought she would be afraid but she's seems facinated! She'll try to hop on to it and smell it, while I'm using it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 01:24:49 PM by tinabeana »

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 03:05:17 PM »

My chinchillas are drawn to the vacuum too!  When we use it to clean around the cages the chinchillas all come running to check it out. 

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 04:43:21 PM »

::shrug:: That's funny, what is it with a vacuum cleaner or even a shop vac?  My chins do the exact same thing!!!  We always have to be careful with the shop vac, the suction would pull a curious chin right up against the cage wire.  :-\
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 07:11:22 AM »

::silly::   It's the difference in the pitch of the sound, I would think.
       Most of mine move over when I run the vacuum inside the cage, but, I have one that will jump on the nozzle and ride it.    :o  rofl

Jo Ann 

My Little Jamie

Pages: [1]   Go Up