Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moldy Hay  (Read 2177 times)

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
Moldy Hay
« on: October 02, 2007, 04:36:13 PM »

Is there a way you can visually tell hay is moldy?

I buy my hay cubes from a feed store and keep them in a large rubbermaid bin without the top closed so the air can circulate. Some of my chins won't eat the cubes so I break them up and feed them the looser hay. I check out all of it and smell it to make sure it isn't weird.

Is it possible to tell if something is wrong? I would hate to feed them anything moldy and have them suffer.

How is it best to be stored and what are any signs it is time to throw it out and get new?
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Moldy Hay
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 08:58:28 AM »

::silly::  Hay and hay cubes need to be able to "breathe", but still be stored to keep any bugs out of it.  Any moisture left in the hay, or that would get in the hay, could easily cause it to mold, especially if it is stored in air-tight containers.  Mold gives off a 'musty' odor and will often show-up as a gray/blue/black powder.  Take a good whiff of the hay/hay cubes before giving it to your chin, you should be able to smell any mold.  Moldy hay can cause major problems!   

If you buy hay in small bags and make sure you rotate the stock, that is the best way to assure it's freshness.

If you purchase large bags of hay cubes and/or large bales of hay, like I do, I find the free-standing (off the floor) cloth clothes hamper with a lid, keeps the hay fresh longer.   ::nod::

large rubbermaid bin without the top closed

A plastic bin may not allow the hay in the bottom to have enough fresh air.  Leaving the top open leaves an open invitation to bugs. 
Mesh bags have a tendance to allow all the fine particles of the hay to accumulate on the floor, where cloth (usually a light-weight canvas) keeps all the hay where it needs to be ... in the bag.  If you can not find one with a lid, you might consider getting a light weight board to set on top of the clothes bin.

Always dispose of any uneaten hay after 24 hours that may be left on the cage floor.  Replace it with fresh hay, daily.  A chinchilla can urinate on the hay and cause it to mold, even after you have made sure it was not moldy when you gave it to him.

::wave:: Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
Re: Moldy Hay
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 06:32:07 AM »

I find the free-standing (off the floor) cloth clothes hamper with a lid, keeps the hay fresh longer.   ::nod::

Very clever. That idea sounds like a winner.

I try to move my cubes and the loose hay that comes with them around to let it all breathe but I was second guessing that to be able to take care of the job. Even the holes being punched all around it didn't seem to be doing great because what about the very bottom?

the Hamper being off the ground and breathable is much better.  ::nod::
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up