Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chin eye problem!!!  (Read 4290 times)

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
Chin eye problem!!!
« on: October 01, 2007, 08:20:32 PM »

Hey I haven't been on for a while because I have been busy finishing the renovationthe chin house...Meanwhile I just started noticing a problem with my one standard female that I have never encountered before.  When I first noticed her left eye was very swollen and glued shut with eye drainage.  I did the tea bag thing and then it seemed to get better, I thought it was just dust or something.  The hair around her eye is gone and it looks a little swollen again and that drainage is back.  Any suggestions.  The only thing I can think of is either still an allergy, but I changed and disinfected her cage, or maybe that with where I live and the weather going up and down she might not be used to the weather change.  My chins have been in my house for years, and I renovated a little cottage house in my backyard to be their chin house, and it has been hard keeping up with the weather because on day its hot and I have the air conditioning going and the next day its freezing so I have the heater going.  Its been really rough maintaining the temp they are used to out there. Any suggestions?...I am calling the vet, but does anyone know of anything I can do. Its wierd because it is only that one eye and the other one looks perfectly fine, her mate is fine, and all the other chins are enjoying their new pad.... ::shrug::

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Chin eye problem!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 06:53:35 AM »

Sounds like this needs a vet visit.  It could be a cut or scratch to the eye from a piece of hay (or something) or it could be an infection which would need some ointment.  Only the vet can tell you for sure.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 01:38:25 PM »

Yes, it sounds like an eye infection.  I have one girl who gets them every time the seasons change...the vet isn't even sure why...maybe the changes stress her and weaken her immune system...whatever it is I have to treat her with terramycin two to three time every year.

It definitely sounds like you are vet-bound   :(

Let us know what the vet says and how your girl does.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 09:11:50 AM »

::silly::  There are/could be several reasons for the eye problem ... eye problems can be the sigh of many things from dust to malocclusion ... like Jamie and Abby said, it's best to get it checked out before it gets worse.  You had it doing better, then it went back to the same way ... this is a sure sign a pro is needed to hopefully clear it up for good.   ::nod::

::wave:: Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up