Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP, Upper Respiratory Infection  (Read 9222 times)

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
HELP, Upper Respiratory Infection
« on: September 29, 2007, 05:58:09 PM »

It has been a long time since I have posted.  A ruptured disc in my back has kept me from sitting at the computer.
But I need some advice now please, on a topic we are not totally familiar with.  We have NEVER had a URI here in any of our chins.

We took in a very small male rescue (500g) with an upper respiratory illness.  He is an adult chin.  He is sneezing & coughing and will not eat anything, not even a raisin!  That signifies trouble!  Yesterday we started him on a Sulfa antibiotic safe for chins.  He has been checked and his lungs sound clear.  His nose is just a little crusty, not much.
Today we began giving him Critical Care and will continue several times a day so he eats something.  He is still pooping!  A good sign.  In addition to his water bottle we have added another bottle with cranberry juice/water 50/50 and a bottle of gatorade (our vet is big on this).  Hopefully this will encourage drinking on his own. 
We will also syringe feed him liquids several times a day.  No dust baths for awhile now either. 
He was supposed to go to his forever adoptive home but I will not let him go until he is 100%.

Any advice or input would be so appreciated if you all have been through this before!  Thanks much.
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: HELP, Upper Respiratory Infection
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 06:23:12 AM »

Hi Joyce,
You said his lungs sound clear...are you sure it is a URI?  Did you check his teeth?  With malocclution the roots of the molars can grow into the sinus cavity in th head and cause all of the symptoms you mentioned.  Hopefully that isn't the case, but since he is a rescue  you can never be sure.  Hopefully that isn't the case.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 12:33:07 PM »

Hi Jamie,

Gosh I hope it's not a dental issue too!  We are syringe feeding him Critical Care and Gatorade, he likes it which is good.  Still giving him the antibiotics to be on the safe side in case of URI.  We did call Lani a few days ago to get her input as well.
Tomorrow I will call the vet and insist he come in for a "thorough" dental exam and x-rays to (hopefully) rule out that issue. 
Poor guy still won't eat on his own.  He is such a doll.  But LOVES to bite hard when we are giving meds & feedings!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 12:36:41 PM »

::silly::  Hi Joyce,

Good to see you back, sorry about the spinal injury ... those are always rough and very painful.

Could it be an allergic reaction to something new, or was he this way when you got him?

I have to agree with Jamie, it may not be an upper respiratory infection ... that is usually clearly heard in the lungs.

You might want to get his teeth x-rayed.  Like Jamie said, it could be malocclusion.  If it is, and it is to the point that he is not being able to eat or drink properly ... and the problem can not be fixed ... there would be only one other alternative.  I hope that is not the case, but sometimes you have to consider it, for the chin's quality (or lack of it) in life.  When the malocclusion invloves the sinus cavity, the brain, the eyes or tounge, it is almost always fatal and can get really rough at the end.  As long as he has the will to live, keep trying, but once the will is gone, it is best not to force it.

Let us know how he is doing and what you find out.  We'll keep yall in our prayers.

Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 06:23:17 PM »

He's in my thoughts. ::cry222:::Poor baby.
He has the best of care ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 09:46:06 PM »

;)  Good news!!!  Our little guy is slowly recovering from what was a URI.  When we took him back to the vet for another visit they could hear upper airway sounds.  His teeth were completely fine.  He is on his second antibiotic now (Baytril), the first one (one of the Sulfa antibiotics) apparently was not effective for the upper respiratory infection he had.  We actually ended up syringe feeding him around the clock since my last post.  (about 2 weeks?)
He also got Cisipride (a motility drug) and Metacam (a non steroidal anti-inflamitory drug)
He got Critical Care mixed with water & Gerber Papaya baby food, we also gave him liquids (Pedialyte & Gatorade) with a dropper. 
He is finally eating & drinking on his own now!!!!  He will even take a raisin again!
 ::angel2::  He is a true fighter.  We are very tired chin parents, but it was well worth it to see him pull through and be doing so well now.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 09:49:20 PM by Joyce »

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 10:37:22 PM »

Yeah!!!!  You did a great job, Joyce!  It sounds like he really is a fighter, too.  I am glad things are going to be ok.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 06:50:54 AM »

Wonderful!!! I am so glad it wasn't his teeth!!!

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 06:54:48 AM »

Thank you Abby, Debbie, Jamie & Jo Ann!  It was rocky there for awhile but I guess all of my  past experience with Mia helped huh?  Now THAT was another nightmare I'd like to forget!

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 07:30:31 AM »

wow- that's good to hear he is doing better. Lots of work but well worth it I see.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 12:19:39 AM »

Awww that's awesome Joyce,
and how are you feeling??????? ::nono::Not over doing It I hope. |hugs|
Debbie.nl.ca

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 09:37:30 PM »

;) Hi Debbie,

Doing well thanks!  The bed rest thing was the hardest, it's almost impossible for me to STOP!  Looks like no surgery will be needed, "whew".  I am very slowly getting back into the swing of things again and just starting with simple walking, then I'll begin physical therapy and then back strengthening with a trainer.    :blush2:  I have put on some weight that'll need to eventually come off too!  But that's OK considering the alternatives.
Hope you all are doing well, I am loving the pics of that handsome young fellow!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 07:05:37 AM »

::silly::  Glad to hear you are up and moving about much better ... the spine can be a long-haul deal, but it will heal ... just don't over do it!     ::nod::

Glad to hear the little one is doing much better!  If a chin has a chance and needs constant care ... you seem to be able to make it work!   ::nod::

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 07:40:22 PM »

Glad to hear the little one is doing much better!  If a chin has a chance and needs constant care ... you seem to be able to make it work!

Thank you so much Jo Ann for the wonderful compliment.  I can't tell you how much that meant to me!  I really do love helping these truly sick chins out and feel like I have been given a very special gift to be able to somehow do so.   ::angel2:: Sometimes I think they are sent to me.
We just took in yet another chinchilla that came from a sad situation, broken bones and having trouble walking, she could no longer stand up and had almost completely stopped eating & drinking.  Her system had just shut down.  We syringe fed, gave pain meds and motility drugs around the clock for 2 weeks.  She pulled through just fine and we love this little one so much!
 I think she likes us too!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 04:17:25 PM »

Sometimes I think they are sent to me.

I feel that way about all of mine, some higher power knew what he was doing when he turned me on to them. ;)
Chins will always be part of my live.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up