Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Chin is sneezing?  (Read 8215 times)

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
My Chin is sneezing?
« on: September 15, 2007, 01:18:39 AM »

Last night I heard him doing it . Quite a bit . The only way I can describe it is tiny little sneezes . His cage is in my bedroom so when I am in bed I hear everything and he was doing it often . I would check on him and he would bounce up there to the door all perky and get some love then when I would lay back down it would start again.

I havn't heard him do it today just yet but is he sneezing? SHould I be worried? I dont want my little guy getting sick on me. :(

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: My Chin is sneezing?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 06:19:05 AM »

::silly::  Chinchillas can be allergic, just like us. 

Do you have any perfumes, clones and/or scented body powder on your dresser in your room? 

Do you use a scented air-freshener?

Do you have any cedar near the chin?  (Like a cedar hope chest, cedar-lined closet?)

Scented cleaners leave fumes that can hurt a chinchilla.

Any of these can be toxic to a chin and can cause a respitory infection in a chinchilla.  You may want to remove them all for a couple of weeks and slowly bring each one back, maybe one every 4 or 5 days ... as soon as the chin sneezes you will know to remove what you just brought back in to the room. 

Caution: He may be allergic to more than one thing, so the testing needs to continue until you are sure everything he is allergic to is gone.   ::nod::

Hope this helps.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Deeliteful

• # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 06:31:18 AM »

Jo Ann I think I have it figured out.

I cleaned my bathroom last night . (You have to go through my bed room to get to the bathroom ).I used something different . Instead of My usual cleanser I used the kind with the scrubbing bubbles and its a spray one. Not squirt out pastey one . After I cleaned the bathroom was when the sneezing started . :doh: Well then . I dont think the scrubbing bubbles will be used in my bathroom again.

Thank you very much .  ;)

Nefarous

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Saris
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 10:09:44 PM »

Speaking of cleansers, is febreze safe to spray in your home with chins around? Does anyone know?

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 10:50:11 AM »

Don't use febreze.  I've heard of someone spraying a dog kennel with it and the dog died.  It's poisonous, even to us, we just don't realize it.  Anything that's harsh like that and not natural, will contribute to headeaches, digestive problems, fibromyalgia, aches and cancer.  I deal with these problems a lot with my work. I have the same opinions on air freshners.  I've seen too many bad things with these products with humans,and chins are so sensitive, I'd guess they respond poorly too.

Keep your house clean, open the windows for fresh air, and if you want something to add smell, get some rose water and spray that in the air.  It's gentle and natural.  If your house is clean, you shouldn't have smells to hide.
Pages: [1]   Go Up