Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to adopt a chinchilla!  (Read 3195 times)

milkdud99

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Want to adopt a chinchilla!
« on: September 13, 2007, 11:33:34 AM »

Hey,
I posted this in the general discussion forms, and figured this would have been a better place!  Sorry for not looking into it earlier, but here's what I asked!

I am interested in adopting a chinchilla, but I have a few questions!

Where can i find a place for adopting in NJ?

What's the typical price for adopting vs. buying a chinchilla.

I am also allergic to cats, even when i touch them, my eyes ich, but at the pet store i held a chinchilla and didn't ich, so i guess my question is, are people that are allergic of cats, allergic to chinchilla's?

I am an airline pilot and am gone from 1-3 days at a time (no more than 4 consecutive, and always have 3 days off in between), can they survive, if provided enough food and water, for the 3 days?

and....  When I was a kid had a hamster in which I got board of pretty quick, are chinchilla's active and entertaining or are they easy to get tired off.   (I have had a fish tank for a year and still love it so I'm thinking if fish can entertain me, than certainly a chinchilla will)!

Thanks for the help, I'm hoping the answers to my above questions are the ones i want to hear!

mikasauntie

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Want to adopt a chinchilla!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 12:12:15 PM »

Hi Milkdud

I can speak about allergies from personal experience...I can't be in a house where cats live for more than about a half hour without getting asthma, sneezing, hives and all the rest.  I think I tested slightly allergic to rabbits years ago.  We have a chinchilla, and have had one for the past 3 years, with no allergies.  Before we bought, I tried hanging out at the nearest chinchilla ranch with several hundred chinchillas for a couple of hours just to see if I had a reaction.

Of course everyone is different.  I highly recommend hanging out with them for awhile to see if you react.  Its certainly hard to have to give up an animal if you find you have allergies later on.

Good luck!

KB
KB

milkdud99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 12:20:02 PM »

Hi Milkdud

I can speak about allergies from personal experience...I can't be in a house where cats live for more than about a half hour without getting asthma, sneezing, hives and all the rest.  I think I tested slightly allergic to rabbits years ago.  We have a chinchilla, and have had one for the past 3 years, with no allergies.  Before we bought, I tried hanging out at the nearest chinchilla ranch with several hundred chinchillas for a couple of hours just to see if I had a reaction.

Of course everyone is different.  I highly recommend hanging out with them for awhile to see if you react.  Its certainly hard to have to give up an animal if you find you have allergies later on.

Good luck!

KB

Thanks for the info!

I've held them in pet stores before and after the dust baths and didn't ich at all, and i didn't wash my hands so i think thats a pretty good sign!

So far 1 questions down! I'm excited to learn about the others!

chicosmama

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 01:09:27 PM »

My friend is allergic to dogs and cats, but not chins. The dust is usually what you'd be allergic to. Chins themselves do not leave much of any scent and their hair folicules are a LOT. So I don't believe you'll have a problem.

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 05:18:21 PM »

Yea, the hay and dust are what would cause you problems.

Go to the breeders directory on the chin club site and look at what it lists in your state. There are website links you can explore, see what is available, and get in touch with the actual breeders.

I have never left mine alone for more then one full night. You should have someone that can check in on them to make sure they are ok and give them fresh hay, food and water. Especially if it's for more then 1 night. You never know if they will chew through their water bottle or try to escape or get hurt.

Chins are very entertaining and different from hamsters. You won't get bored with them.. the only problem is you might end up wanting another!
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

milkdud99

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 07:10:48 PM »

Yea, the hay and dust are what would cause you problems.

Go to the breeders directory on the chin club site and look at what it lists in your state. There are website links you can explore, see what is available, and get in touch with the actual breeders.

I have never left mine alone for more then one full night. You should have someone that can check in on them to make sure they are ok and give them fresh hay, food and water. Especially if it's for more then 1 night. You never know if they will chew through their water bottle or try to escape or get hurt.

Chins are very entertaining and different from hamsters. You won't get bored with them.. the only problem is you might end up wanting another!

So pretty much if i couldn't find someone to take care of it, than it wouldn't be the worse thing to leave them alone, granted they had PLENTY of food and water!  right?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 08:33:14 AM »

::silly::  As a breeder that goes to shows, we do have occasions we have to leave our chins as much as 2 nights and 3 days at a time.

When this happens, I double the number of water bottles on the cages, add an extra large amount of hay in the hay holder and on the top shelf of the larger cages, and put in extra food.  The cages are cleaned before we leave and again as soon as we get home. 

Often most of the chins seem to miss us and do not eat or drink as much as they do when we are home.

Chinchillas can go without water and food for two days without severe effects on them, IF they are 100% healthy, but this is not advised at any time, when avoidable.

The real problem with leaving them alone, without some kind of supervision, is the possibility of an accident ... this is true with any animal.  An injury to a chinchilla may be much more life-threatening than the same injury to other animals.  Time is always of the essence with chinchillas.   Chinchillas often go into shock when injured.

There is also the chance of it getting loose ... for this possibility, I suggest putting your chin in the safest and most chin-proofed room you have and close the door.  A loose chinchilla is a chinchilla that is a danger to itself, due to all the things available for it to explore, taste, bite and get into.

As a rule, a chinchilla's food and water should be changed daily ... due to bacteria.  If you sterilize the water bottles (glass water bottles) and boil the water, it should be safe for a chinchilla for 2 or 3 days.  Most tap water and even many of the bottled waters, have a tiny parasite in it that is not in large enough numbers to hurt humans, but will hurt and can kill chinchillas.  The longer the water stands, the more the number of parasites are allowed to grow and the more of a danger it is to a chinchilla.  Boiling the water will usually take care of this problem for the 2 or 3 days it is available to the chin.

What's the typical price for adopting vs. buying a chinchilla.

The prices/fees are the same. 
These are basically the same thing, just different terms being used for the same thing. 
It is the perspective in which people view things they get.

When you "sell" an animal, to me, it sounds like slavery or selling property, a piece of goods.

When you "adopt" an animal, to me, it sounds more like this little one is becoming a family member, not just a "thing" to be disposed of when you get tired of it.  I always use the term "adopt" as becoming a family member.  When a perspective new chin owner refers to buying or getting a chin after I explain this to them, I feel they do not look upon the chinchilla the same way I do ... as a family member ... and I will not allow them to get/buy one of my little ones.  Call it silly, if you like, but this is my perspective when it comes to my chinchillas, they are my "babies".

Check out "breeders" under NY or north east area for breeders near you.

When I was a kid had a hamster in which I got board of pretty quick, are chinchilla's active and entertaining or are they easy to get tired off.   (I have had a fish tank for a year and still love it so I'm thinking if fish can entertain me, than certainly a chinchilla will)!

::silly::  Children tend to get board with anything fairly quickly, no matter how entertaining they may be to adults ... you are an adult now.  If fish in an aquarium are entertaining to you, I think you will find them boring as apposed to a chinchilla. 
BUT ... Chinchillas are not lap animals and love their freedom.  They can be very entertaining ... but ... it is your responsibility to make sure they have a regular routine when you are home.  They thrive on routine and attention.  They need a  time they know you will spend with them playing on a one-on-one basis ... not turn them loose while you eat or watch t.v., but play with them with no other distractions ... they need love and attention more than most living things.  If you can not, or are not willing, to give them this,  you will need an animal that is lower maintenance and one that does not really 'need' you.  Sorry if that seems a little blunt, but I care more about all the chinchillas than I do about most people, as a rule.  That's just me and the way I am.   ::nod::

So pretty much if i couldn't find someone to take care of it, than it wouldn't be the worse thing to leave them alone, granted they had PLENTY of food and water!  right?
With that train of thought, maybe you might want to look at some more fish for your aquarium.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up