Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Owner In Need Of Advice  (Read 3078 times)

Charlie330

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New Owner In Need Of Advice
« on: September 12, 2007, 03:01:20 PM »

I recently rescued a 6-8 month old Chinchilla from a couple in a nearby city that were incapable of providing it the proper care it needed. They had a 2 year old daughter that, from what I could tell, would terrorize the poor guy; not to mention that they had a very demanding schedule and very rarely would give him the chance to play outside of his cage and for this reason, they put up the ad. This is my first time owning and being responsible for the care of one and was hoping for a little advice on well, just about everything.

As I said, I rescued him from a state that was nowhere near ideal. The change in owners and location, however, doesn't seem to have caused him much stress, but then again, I am still very new at this. They had been using Red Cedar bedding which I immediately changed to recycled paper, they also had been feeding him grapes as treats, which I switched to raisins. I provide him with Alfalfa based pellets and Timothy Hay daily, as well as change his water. Also, I give him a treat when I change his food and one to lure him out for play time. I hold my hand out facing up with the raisin on my forearm near my elbow joint so that he has to stand fully on my hand to get to it. I'm trying to bond him to me and I'm worried that his psyche might have been damaged due to his prior living conditions, although he is still quite young. His former owners said he was anywhere from 6-8 months old.

His cage is multi-level and complete with a plastic, non-spoked wheel (which he doesn't seem to use), food bowl, water bottle, and plastic bath house which is devoted purely as a place for him to sleep in; for dust baths I use a popcorn bowl.

His behavior is still a bit unpredictable but I've only had him since last Sunday. At times he can be quite skiddish and others he will let me pet him and scratch his chin and his ears. Once a night I take him to the bathroom which has been chin-proofed and let him run around which he seems to enjoy very much. I just want whats best for the little guy and hope that in time he will grow very close to me. Any and all advice is welcome and will be most likely be implemented.

null

• Salty Cracker
  • Appreciation points: 1
  • Humping the shoe that feeds
    • View Profile
    • Three Rivers Chinchilla
Re: New Owner In Need Of Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 03:16:40 PM »

Sounds like you're doing a great job so far. It was a good move getting that cedar out of his cage. That stuff is toxic to a chin.

You might as well remove the plastic wheel now. If he does start to use it it will break in a month anyway. The plastic levels should also be replaced with untreated pine boards. Anything plastic isn't good for them to chew on. Make sure there is good material in his cage to chew on to keep his teeth warn down. Pumice stones are good and untreated pine is always safe. Some woods are not safe so before you give him anything make sure it's safe.

Also check to see if he's on good food. Most of the stuff pet stores carry isn't very healthy. Also make sure that he always has timothy hay.

Charlie330

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 04:23:35 PM »

Right now I have him on Kaytee forti-diet. Haven't really heard anything good or bad about the stuff. I guess I'll take the wheel out and replace it with some tubing or some more ledges.

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 06:41:51 PM »

you are doing good with everything it seems. he seems to be doing well also and if you continue to bond with him he may build trust with you and turn around from what the poor thing used to be. He probably thanks you from saving him- so keep up the good work.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 10:03:06 AM »

::silly::  You will find lots of sites (www.luvnchins.com/  mine) and varrying information on chinchillas ... when information conflicts ... just post a question on the board here ... we're all good at giving advice and can usually hash out any questions or answers that may not be clear for you.   ::)

Red Cedar bedding which I immediately changed to recycled paper

Your chinnie kisses your hand and thanks you for this!   ::nod::

2 year old daughter that, from what I could tell, would terrorize the poor guy; not to mention that they had a very demanding schedule and very rarely would give him the chance to play outside of his cage

In this particular case, confined inside the cage, was most likely much safer than the alternative.   :-[

they also had been feeding him grapes as treats, which I switched to raisins.

Very good ... just keep it to one or two raisins a day ... more might cause dirrhea.  Raisins are good training tools.  Cut them in pieces so there is "more" of them.   :::grins::

...complete with a plastic, non-spoked wheel (which he doesn't seem to use), food bowl, water bottle, and plastic bath house which is devoted purely as a place for him to sleep in; for dust baths I use a popcorn bowl.
Plastic will be chewed and consumed by a chinchilla ... it does not soften in the digestive tract and can be lethal for a chin ... a very slow painful death.  Please remove ALL plastic.

The best chin hut, is one made of untreated seasoned pine wood that can be easily made by you at a very reasonable price ... check out my chinchilla booklet on my site for instructions at: http://luvnchins.com/LuvNChinsChinchillaBookletPrintable.html   Never place a chin hut on an upper level unless you ancor it to the cage ... you would not want it to fall on top of your little one ... or take him/her for an unexpected very bumpy ride to the bottom of the cage.
All left-over wood can be cut into chew blocks for your chin to enjoy!

Your love, attention and care is what your chin needs most.  Learn all you can to keep it safe and happy!   ::nod::

Right now I have him on Kaytee forti-diet.
  ::puke::

Please check out your local Wal-Mart or PetsMart for Mazuri Chinchilla Diet, or your local vet for Oxbow Chinchilla Diet, or Traditions Chinchilla Diet from many breeders. 

"Deluxe", "forti-fied", "mix" listed on chinchilla food usually means it has addatives chins do not need or addatives that they will eat and leave/pick through the good chinchilla pellets and not eat what is best for them.

*You didn't ask about vitamins, but please do not get the liquid ones to put into the water ... you never know how much your chin really gets and the light weakens the vitamins.  You want to find the needed viatmins naturally in the food/treats and/or supplements you give your chin.

Be very careful of products listed as "good for chinchillas" or "made for chinchillas" that is also used with other small animals, especially mice or rats.  Most manufactures do not do the necessary research, see the chinchilla listed as a rodent and assume they can be given the same food and toys ... this is NOT true.  Many "made for chinchillas" or the "chinchilla starter kit" is anything but what your chin actually needs.

I guess I'll take the wheel out and replace it with some tubing or some more ledges.
Please use PVC pipe (the only safe plastic for chinchillas) and or wood to replace the hard plastic in the cage.

You are your chins best friend or worst enemy.  A good chin parent is the first and never the latter.   ::nod::

You are off to a good start ... you have the love and the good intentions, now you just have to learn the "dos and don'ts of chinchillas".    You've come to the right place!

Two books all chinchilla people need are: The Joy of Chinchillas by Lani Richie and "After 40 Years ..." by Alice Kline.
These can be found on California Chins, a chinchilla research center (at: http://www.cachins.org/ ) and the M.C.B.A (http://www.mutationchinchillas.com/) websites.  Check under "store" at both sites.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 10:07:10 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 05:55:01 PM »

If you want toys, look for wooden bird toys. Just make sure they don't have any toxic dyes. And cardboard tubes. When you let him out in the bathroom maybe you could get some old shoe boxes or any other cardboard for him to play with, then you can construct all sorts of fun. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up