Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrical Burns + sad rescue story  (Read 10092 times)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Electrical Burns + sad rescue story
« on: July 05, 2006, 07:28:07 AM »

We took in a chinchilla through our shelter program awhile back and we are at a loss so I thought I would see if anyone has seen something similar.

This poor little guy had it rough!  I was contacted by a person who said the chinchilla had been left at his home when the owner moved.  He needed it gone right away.  So my husband left work early to go get it.  When he picked it up he was told that he thought something might be wrong with it.  He was also told that it had never had a dust bath because they couldn't figure out where to buy it.

He was delivered to us in his "cage" which was a maybe big enough for a hamster, on cedar shaving, and with a bag of corn feed.  :o

When he got it home I could see that something was very wrong with its front foot and I could see fur missing from under its neck.  I called my vet who came over and we decided to put him to sleep so we could give him a very thorough exam.  My vet reached into the cage and gave him a shot and then we waited until he was asleep to pick him up (a much less stressful situation for the chinchilla)  The first thing I noticed was the horrible smell coming from this chinchilla.  It wasn't infection, it was body odor!! :::(((

Then we flipped him over and I almost died!  His back foot was gone and there was nothing there but a bone.  His front foot was about 4 times its normal size, black, and cold.  We were afraid it wasn't getting any blood and may be dead.  This would mean having to remove it but we wanted to wait to be sure that was really the case.  We checked the hand for any signs of injury or broken bones but could find nothing.  We treated the back stump so that it would heal properly and would not get infected.

This poor chinchilla had fur lose from his "dead" hand all the way up to his mouth but there was no sign of fungus or injury of any kind, except that the skin was more pink than normal.  We checked his teeth which were fine.

After doing all we could for this little guy we placed him into a larger cage so that he could move around some but kept it one level due to his injuries and waited for him to wake up.  We were at a loss as to what happened to him.  There was no sign of an animal attack, and no visible explanation for his very bad hand. 

I contacted the person that gave him to us who did admit, then, that he got his foot caught in the cage and broke it.  The owner (who moved to another country) couldn't afford the vet bill so she cut his leg off with a pair of scissors.  He had no explanation for the front hand.  :flames:

It has been several weeks and he is making a wonderful recovery.  His back leg is doing great and he has now learned to run around like a normal chinchilla.  He has graduated back into a three story cage and loves to keep me awake each night with his playing.

The front hand is also improving.  Oddly enough it turns out it was just covered with a very thick black "skin/scab" that was so think we couldn't feel his warmth through it. He has been slowing chewing off this dead layer and showing red live skin beneath.  Our vet is checking him regularly for any signs of infection but so far he is fine.  The hand is still swollen and deformed but it is getting closer to normal size and he can now bend his fingers enough to hold a raisin with that hand. 

The skin under his neck has turned back to a normal skin color and yesterday I could see signs of new fur growth...But now for the questions.  The more we watch the healing of that mystery hand the more it looks like a burn.  We were told that over the last few weeks the chinchilla was aloud to run around in the bathtub and on one occasion he was able to jump out.  Has anyone seen a chinchilla stick its hand into an electrical socket.  Could this have caused a hand burn that would singe the fur off of the neck area causing the reddened skin?  I'm thinking that the hand happened after the foot which would have made it impossible for him to have jumped up onto a counter to touch a curling iron - and anyway whatever got him covered the entire hand not just the palm area.

We may never know what really happened to this chinchilla or what has caused this odd hand problem but I though I would see if anyone else had any thoughts.  The good news is he is doing well and is very happy and friendly in spite of what has happened to him.  He loves to come out and play and will run to the cage door for a kiss and a raisin whenever I come into the room. ::wub::

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

null

• Salty Cracker
  • Appreciation points: 1
  • Humping the shoe that feeds
    • View Profile
    • Three Rivers Chinchilla
Re: Electrical Burns + sad rescue story
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 07:48:52 AM »

In order for it to be from an electrical outlet he would have had to complete the circuit between the to prongs. Maybe if he had his hand in one and stuck his tounge in the other he could of gotten a burn, but that would be pretty tough.

I hope that the country this poor little chins old owner moved to is one of the ones that we're dropping bombs on.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 07:58:48 AM »

That is a good point.  I guess we will never know what really happened to this poor chinchilla. 

Lowcountry Chinchillas

chinchillagrl06

• The Petting Zoo
  • Appreciation points: 3
  • Monkeybuny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 09:09:34 AM »

My God!!! His owner cut off his leg with scissors! :o
That is just shocking! OMG!
How sad, I'm glad you were able to save this poor baby.
Sarah (^..^)
& the Zoo Crew
Chinnies, Suggies, Kitties, and a Bunny.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 03:01:46 PM »

::silly::I have no idea about the woman that went to another country and left her chin behind in the care of these other people, but, maybe, the chin was just fine when she left.  ::shrug:: Who knows, it could have bit one of them and they did bad things to it.   As Jamie says, we'll probably never know the whole truth.  :::(((  Thank goodness Jamie got it and is caring for it now.  ::nod::

But, I am a firm believer in what goes around comes around.  :-[  What we do, for/to even the smallest creature, comes back to us.  I would not want to be in their shoes when it comes back on them.    :-\ 

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

tinabeana

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 04:36:40 PM »

Perhaps it could have been something plugged into the outlet... a nightlight or one of those plug in air-fresheners.

That's possibly the worst thing I have ever heard! It actually made me a little sick just now. How could people be so terrible. The chin is really lucky to have ended up with you.

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 07:59:15 PM »

:::((( Oh Jamie,

I just cried when I read this disturbing story.  This beats all of my rescue stories hands down.  I am just horrified that any human being could do such a thing to an animal.  This is heartbreaking.  With my eyes welled up in tears, I shared this story with my vet tonight when we were at the office (Simon eyes again).   They were sickened.
I am so thankful that you were the angel that rescued him and have given him such a wonderful second chance at life.  And a very good life if I must say!  You just keep loving him and spoiling him rotten, he sure deserves it!  If I lived closer Aunt Joycie would be there to visit and spoil him too, you know it!
I agree with Jo Ann. 
 :flames: As far as the person who abused and neglected this animal................... what goes around comes around..........one day they are going to have some explaining to do.
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 06:56:50 AM »

Oh, he is my baby!!  My husband asked me the other day at what point he could go out to the chinchilla building with the rest of the chins And I told him NEVER!!  I have gotten very used to hearing him play at night when I am trying to sleep and can't for all of the noise. ;D  It just makes me so happy that he is learning to be a normal chinchilla. I knew he would do just fine without his back leg but I wasn't sure how well he would do without a back leg and with only limited use of a hand as well. 

And Spoiled!!!  He is so incredably social and he has learned a new trick.  He now knows that he can call and I will come running.  That little stinker will climb up to the top of this cage and yell whenever he feels it is time for a raisin or a scratch.  So I guess I am easily trained.  He doesn't know a stranger and will come to door when any of us walk by the cage, thinking everything is all about him.

Here is a picture of him.  He hates the sound of my camera and runs into his house when I take one so we have very little pictures of him.  I do want to get a good picture of his hand so maybe tonight my hubby can help me do that.

Oh, by the way I names him Charlie.  He just looks like a Charlie to me.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

tinabeana

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 07:48:34 AM »

Awwwwwwe he is sooo cute!

How anyone can ever do what they did to him is beyond me. It just makes my stomach turn.

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 08:09:27 AM »

:) The name Charlie really does do him right, great choice!  I'm with you girlfriend, he would stay with me in the house forever getting all of the undivided attention he has been starving for all this time.  (Sorry Randy!!) It's amazing how friendly and social he is after what he went through.  He really loves you all and trusts you.  This is his way of saying thanks for saving my life.  He is a real trooper with a definite will to survive and passion for life! 
What a story with a happy ending and Bless you and your wonderful family for being such caring people!
 ::silly:: Tell Charlie to be expecting a surprise! Aunt Joyce is putting a special package in the mail just for him.
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

Stacy

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • My chinchillas
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 08:16:09 AM »

He is so cute!!! It is so great that you got him and he will have a good life now.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 09:49:15 AM »

He is a real trooper with a definite will to survive and passion for life! 

I agree!  A typical chinchilla shoud have gone into shock and died when its foot was cut off.   This little guy took the pain and still trusts people. Its amazing.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 10:39:47 AM »

::silly::God gave animals a special sense about things ... they know who loves them.   ::nod:: Charlie finally found someone who loves him.   :hugs:

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

ChiLLinChiLLas

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 05:01:07 PM »

I'm glad he's doing well. 

I almost cried when the owner cut his foot off with scissors.  Who the **** does that?????  Stupid people really make me sick.

chinchillaboy4

• View Profile
    • My myspace
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 04:53:03 PM »

That story is just horrifying, but im glad hes in your care now and doing well
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up