Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: uh- oh :(  (Read 3055 times)

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
uh- oh :(
« on: September 11, 2007, 06:45:51 AM »

I'm pretty upset this morning. Last night I had one of my girls (Isabella- in my avatar) out to weigh her and she wasn't very happy sitting in the scale and jumped out so I just let her hop around. I sat on the floor and she wasn't doing much then my fiance came in. He asked if I needed help catching her and I said no. He layed on the floor which had her cornered and I kept telling him to leave her alone, she was fine but now he was scaring her. He didn't listen and tried to catch her, got her and had her tail next to her body- but she was holding on to the ground for dear life screaming and fur started flying everywhere. I was so mad because she was fine just being out and he scared her so bad he gave her to me and she sat with her head tucked under my arm for almost 40 minutes. I finally calmed her down and got her to climb on me a little, helped get fur off her then put her in her cage and talked to her for a while.
This morning I checked on her and by her tail theres this dime size spot where some fur came out that looks thinner then the rest of her coat. I was going to show her.. so what is that going to do to her show outcome? I'm furious with my fiance right now- there was no need for it and I told him to leave her alone over and over again.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
Re: uh- oh :(
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 06:54:14 AM »

by the way- I checked her and kept an eye on her all night. She didn't take a dust bath at first but after she calmed down I talked to her and she came out of her hide and acted fine. This morning she was completely fine- just didnt want to be picked up. I had been worried she had broken something but her tail and body are fine- she just got really scared. She's never liked my fiance really. I feel so bad for her. She isn't hurt but she'll probably hide from him for a while. Poor Izzy.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
central North Carolina

Sweetnessheart

• Appreciation points: 7
    • View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 07:45:33 AM »

I am so sorry Isabella got scared. Sometimes (most of the time) "men" don't listen!!  >:(

People don't understand that chinchillas are fragile little critters.  Just because they are cute and cuddly that doesn't mean you can sit and hold them like a lap cat or dog.  I know mine would rather just do their own exploring and if they want to interact then they will.  They are not bunnies or guinea pigs.

About the loss of fur....maybe a combing could blend in her thin spot.

Janice and Jim
http://www.4jsplantation.com

ECBC V-Pres. - Southeast Unit of Ohio Branch

Chin_Vinny

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 09:02:49 AM »

I second the fact that people don't understand that they are fragile. I would like to say that all of the cases of people mishandling my chinchillas has been "women", while the guys tend to lament their shoes being eaten. All have been warned beforehand you cant just grab em. It is my theory that there is a switch in the brain of people not used to chinchillas that gets shut off with the "cute animal" factor. Or perhaps they overcompensate when they realize its mostly fluff.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 09:13:08 AM by Chin_Vinny »

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 03:56:36 PM »

Thats very true.

I'm very carefull.. I don't let many people at all handle them. I get mad when I think it's too rough because it does'n't take much to hurt them. Not to mention it scares them and makes them un-easy... poor things.

Isabella is acting fine with me.. and me only today. My son or fiance make her stand alert and then hide.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
central North Carolina

todd0329

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 08:11:46 PM »

Dump the fiance, keep the Chinchilla!  Just kidding.  Sorry to hear about what happened.  I'm sure your 'man' will be more sensitive next time.   

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 10:26:03 AM »

Dump the fiance, keep the Chinchilla!  Just kidding.  Sorry to hear about what happened.  I'm sure your 'man' will be more sensitive next time.  

::silly:: Dump the fiance, keep the chinchilla ... and I'm not kidding!     ;)

Male or female ... both (humans, that is) can be down right stupid at times ...  either can be a "terror" for a poor little chinchilla ... List your rules concerning your chin, and if not followed, ask the human to leave.   ::shrug::  Sorry, but I'm 100% for chinchillas!   :::grins::

I have my rules concerning my chins posted and worded as if a chinchilla wrote it ... the last rule states:
"If you do not follow the above rules to the letter, Momma Jo will ask you to leave, with-out one of us to go home with you!"

This is really not plausable for family members, but ... family members can be baned from access to the chins.

Catch the family member off guard or asleep and jump at, yell or frighten them ... then explain, "That's the way you made my little one feel.  No fun, is it?"  Hopefully they will take this to heart and not scare your little one again ... if not, they don't respect you or other living things very much, do they?

Just my thoughts ....

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 12:27:30 PM »

I have another post I'm about to write concerning my fiance... I did actually leave him.. it's been a long time coming... but thats a WHOLE nother post.  :-[

But I feel the same way. I will ban someone from them and their 'home' (my chin room) because of their lack of respect. I take it very serious with animals.. they are people too.. to me.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
central North Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up