Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: why does my female...  (Read 6272 times)

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
why does my female...
« on: September 08, 2007, 06:03:17 PM »

why does a female chinchilla have discharge? Is that normal with them in general? or does that mean something?
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
Re: why does my female...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 07:07:04 PM »

What does the discharge look like?

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 07:31:33 PM »

it is white and there is a small amount. I was holding her and just held her up to check her and noticed it. It wasn't oozing- there was a small amount outside the opening.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
central North Carolina

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 08:57:04 PM »

Ok, I have seen that before in a couple of my females.  I am not sure why some do it and some don't seem to, but it doesn't seem to be anything to worry about.  Of course, if she starts acting differently (not eating or drinking, irregular poops, or she becomes less active than usual) you should take her to see a vet as soon as you can.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 05:11:00 AM »

::silly::  I would not wait, if the discharge is still there the first or middle of this week and she is not in season by then, I would get her checked out, just for safety.

Often you will notice a slight discharge when a female is going into, or is "in season".  When she is "in-season", she will be slightly swollen in that area and you should be able to see a tiny touch of what looks like a drop/spot of bright red blood just inside, but still visible.  If not, and she does not show this soon (as in my the first to the middle of the week) .... I would take her to the vet and get her checked out, it could be the first visual sign of an infection ... may not be, but why put her at risk?  I would not ... chins die when you don't get them checked by a knowledgeable vet when you should.

Chinchillas are very good at hiding their illness, often until it is to late.  This comes from a natural instinct that kept them from becoming prey in the wild.  If a chin showed any sign of weakness, illness or injury in the wild, it became easy prey.  This natural instinct is still with chinchillas today, even in captivity and is often their doom.

Is this female in breeding?  If so for how long?  Many breeders/ranchers swab the females on a routine basis before they put them into breeding. 

How old is she? 

Is she caged alone or with another chin?  If so, is the other chin a male or female?

Has she ever had any kits?

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 09:02:30 AM »

::silly::  I would not wait, if the discharge is still there the first or middle of this week and she is not in season by then, I would get her checked out, just for safety.

Often you will notice a slight discharge when a female is going into, or is "in season".  When she is "in-season", she will be slightly swollen in that area and you should be able to see a tiny touch of what looks like a drop/spot of bright red blood just inside, but still visible.  If not, and she does not show this soon (as in my the first to the middle of the week) .... I would take her to the vet and get her checked out, it could be the first visual sign of an infection ... may not be, but why put her at risk?  I would not ... chins die when you don't get them checked by a knowledgeable vet when you should.

Chinchillas are very good at hiding their illness, often until it is to late.  This comes from a natural instinct that kept them from becoming prey in the wild.  If a chin showed any sign of weakness, illness or injury in the wild, it became easy prey.  This natural instinct is still with chinchillas today, even in captivity and is often their doom.

Is this female in breeding?  If so for how long?  Many breeders/ranchers swab the females on a routine basis before they put them into breeding. 

How old is she? 

Is she caged alone or with another chin?  If so, is the other chin a male or female?

Has she ever had any kits?

Jo Ann-
She has not bred yet, but is going to be at the end of the year. She was born 3/11/07, so she is about 6 months old. I was wondering if it was because she was going into season (because of her age). She is caged alone- right beside what will be her mate. I let them smell and groom eachother only if I'm right there and not for long so nothing will happen. She will either hop into his cage or he will hers. They have never been alone so she can't be pregnant. I have had her since early July.

I checked her again late last night and early this morning and there was no discharge- and I will continue to check her as you said.

My main concern and the reason I posted this question is really if she could have an infection, because although I haven't seen it I was sure it happens. Have you ever seen this or had a female have an infection?
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
central North Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 04:46:58 AM »

::silly::    I've had one female that had an infection.  We think she had it when I got her from the other breeder.  She had already been in breeding and had given birth to 2 litters previously.  I first thought she had tinkled a tiny bit on me, but when I saw it was mucous, I took her to the vet.  We ran 10 day of a mild antibiotic and it cleared up just fine.

I have heard of instances where infections were not caught in time and of course, the whole row of females ended up with infections, due to the male passing it from one end to the other in that ranch run.

It could be an infection, or her going into season, or something that may end up being "normal for her", but it never hurts to get it checked out.  Better safe than sorry.  I have found your piece of mind is usually worth more than the vet bill.  (  ::hah::  That's probably why I've never seen a profit on my chins.)

If she has a foul odor or any redness of the skin itself in that area, don't wait, get her to the vet a.s.a.p.  Do you know what a female looks like that is in season? 

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 06:44:33 AM »

yes I have seen from working with another breeder what she will look like 'in season' so I will pay close attention and take her straight to the vet if I have any question in my mind.

She hasn't shown anything with anymore discharge other then that one time I saw it the other night so I'm taking that as a good sign. I check her through out the day and I'll keep doing that like normal.

She is one of the chins I will be taking with me to the October show, by the way. After she is 8 months old (Nov/Dec) and a good weight, we were planning on putting her into breeding.

Knowing me I will be taking her to the vet just to be safe this week.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
central North Carolina

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 06:48:35 AM »

Thank You BOTH for getting back quickly to the post! I sent the above reply before adding my Thanks!
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
central North Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up