Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I think my Pooka is pregent?  (Read 5208 times)

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
I think my Pooka is pregent?
« on: September 07, 2007, 02:55:55 PM »

Hi All,
I think pooka might be pregent. I have seen her laying on her side and when she is facing me I have watched her tummy and have seen rolling movment. I know when we have seen this on our rabbits it doesn't mean their going to have babies. But she hasen't been playing in her wheel very much, and she has started to look uncomfertable when she is trying to sleep. She has been with the peaka sence May. She looks "fluffy" but when she starts running around she doesn't look that. She's eating and drinking like normal, I have seen one spot in the cage that has been cleaned out, so I don't know if this is her nest area or not. But I was hopping that some one might give me a ruff estament on when she might be do? Also I'm sorry for the miss spelled words,  spelling is not my strong point. Hope soon do you think I need to remove her from peaka? When do I take away the dust bath?  I'm happy about this and I'm scared for my pooka. I hope we both do well. Thank you, Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: I think my Pooka is pregent?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 06:25:42 AM »

Hi Keesaa,

IF she is pregnant, she could be due any day now ... it only takes approximately 111 days from conception to delivery.  But, just because they have been together about that right amount of time or a little more, does not mean she is pregnant.  I have two pair that have been together for almost 10 years and one pair had one kit 4 years ago and the other pair have never had a kit ... on the other hand ... I've put several pairs together that have had kits almost exactly 111 or 112 days later.    ::)

Laying on the side is also often an sign that a chin female is pregnant, IF she does not normally do this ... but, I have males that sleep and lay on their sides and they are definitely not pregnant.

But you say she is having a "rolling movement" in her tummy ... that's a pretty good sign that she is pregnant and fairly close to the time she is due to deliver.

With the rolling movements you see in her tummy, I think it's a little to late for this test, but for those of you who think your chin MIGHT be pregnant, this is a good test.

As a general rule ... if you hold your female on a daily basis when you think the is pregnant, the first time you feel a kit move, it is usually 2 weeks before she delivers. 
This is true if she is pregnant with 1 large or 2 normal size kits or 3 kits slightly smaller than normal size. 
If she is only carrying one, the kit has more room to move, so it can be less than two weeks before it is born ... usually 7 to 10 days. 
BUT, if she is carrying 3, 4, 5 or more and they are a good healthy size, it could be 2-1/2 to 3 or even 4 weeks before she delivers.

Bunch of ifs, but it usually holds true.   ::nod::

Now for some other "signs" that are usually dependable to let you know the time is close .....

The tummy feels like it is a full water balloon.  Tight and full.

Chinchillas are very clean, the closer it gets to time to delivery, she will seem to be cleaning herself more and more.

The teats will become elongated and pinker, especially for a first-time mom.  This is less obvious if there has been several litters born to this female.

The fur right around the teats will fall away to provide a clean smooth surface to nurse.

Water consumption by her will increase by about 30 to 50% during the last 24 hours.  This is in preparation to making the milk the kits will need.  She will continue to drink more than normal amount of water the whole time she is nursing the kits.

She will flatten out in the bottom of the cage and appear to be panting/rapid breathing a little ... labor has started.

She will usually move around the cage holding on to or pushing up against (with her paws) and doing what might look like stretching exercises ... labor is advancing ... this could be a few minutes to 3 hours before you see the first kit.

Her water will break ... yep ... they are definately wanting out.

If she does not deliver within 4 hours, alert your vet ... you may have to take her in ... I would definately NOT leave her until she delivers.   But, that's me ... most of the time there is no problem and nature will take it's course without a problem, but not always ... so, I air on the side of caution.  If she has 3 or more kits, she may be to exhausted to clean and care for them properly ... I like to be there just in case.  If you read the 4 pages on Gidgets Quads ... Quints to Quads, on my website, you will understand more.  :)

I am sure I have left out some things, so others will add to this.   ::nod::

::wave:: Jo Ann
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 06:27:38 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

kneesaa

• View Profile
Re: I think my Pooka is pregant?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 08:48:36 AM »

Hi,
Thanks Joe Ann, That is really helpful. I have been reading everyones posts about their chins, and that was helpful. Last night when she was running around she would stand up on her hind legs and look around and I swear she didn't look pregant. She wont let me hold her or touch her so it's hard to see. So I guess when I wake up in the morning and see little ones running around I'll know. But if she has one or two or more I'm going to be keeping them. I just want to do this once and thats it. Thanks for the help. If she does have babies I'll let you know. Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 01:03:40 PM »

I would say she is days or even hours away.

With in days of delivery my girls drop, the fullness feeling leaves, and weight gain stops, slowes or even a slight loss.
You can feel the kits very easily, and now see Moms hips again.
That's how I know they are very close.
I've got one here now that's in any day mode, I'm not sure on the due date, so I'm playng it by ear.
So we are both waiting Shannon ::nod::

::pull hair::
the hardest part. :D

Debbie.nl.ca

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 03:54:53 PM »

Hi,
Sorry about miss spelling your name Jo Ann. Yes, waiting is the hardest part. If she has one baby in side her would she be very big? She looks like she is still uncomfortable and she looks like she is trying to find the right way to sleep.  That my only signs beside the rolling movement I saw in her.  I need to watch our cats, my bengal use to pull new born baby bunnies out of their cage and play with them. But now he's deaf but his sisters can still hear. Thank God the chins are in my room. I have to laugh all the animals sleep in my room and the chins are in my room, the dogs and the cats will let me know when or if she has babys.  I'll wrap some sheets I have around the cage to keep the cats out. No matter what I'll be watching the cats. Thanks Shannon.
Quyana Shannon Seager

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 04:49:40 PM »

::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly::
I need to watch our cats, my bengal use to pull new born baby bunnies out of their cage and play with them. But now he's deaf but his sisters can still hear.  ... I have to laugh all the animals sleep in my room and the chins are in my room, the dogs and the cats will let me know when or if she has babys.  I'll wrap some sheets I have around the cage to keep the cats out. No matter what I'll be watching the cats.

He does not have to hear, he can see and smell!

::nono::... chinchillas are not like little bunnies ... Chins are born fully furred and usually playing within an hour ... within the first 24 to 36 hours, they are climbing up the side of the cage to the top of it ... there would be no way to protect them from the cats then.  The kits can clilmb up, but not down ... once they reach the top, they turn loose and fall to the bottom of the cage ... that's why it is important to have plenty of bedding ... and nothing they can hit on the way down ... no huts.  The cage should be no taller than 15" and nothing inside of it other than mom and kits, bedding and food.  The wire must be 1/2" by 1" or smaller to make sure the kits can not fall/climb out of the cage.  One nick from a cat's claw or teeth could kill a chinchilla ... they are much more fragile than bunnies.

Hey, Debbie the quote
was from me ... a discription of what momma chins looks like near the time for her to deliver.   :)

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 08:31:28 PM »

We are going to keeps the cats away from the chin cages. I have seen some nice cages that we are looking into for Mama and little ones. I will keep everyones info when picking out a cage. Thank you all and have a good night, Shannon
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 09:01:18 PM by kneesaa »
Quyana Shannon Seager
Pages: [1]   Go Up