Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slowly Switching Food  (Read 3073 times)

chicosmama

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Slowly Switching Food
« on: September 06, 2007, 09:35:19 AM »

When I got my chin from the petstore, they didnt tell me what kind of hay or pellets they used. I know they probably used timothy hay but it wasn't green at all. They used big pellets too but still, never mentioned to me "don't get the stuff with all the treats in it." So he's been recieving the treaty stuff but he only eats like a big oat out of it and the pellet, and some sort of seed they put in it. Tonight I am going to the pet store to get regular pellets, no matter what brand of chin food, it's better than this fiesta junk. But I will try to get alfalfa based because I feed him timothy hay.

I also feed him orchad hay, a small bit, which I believe is high in fiber. Oats I believe are used for fiber, correct? I am trying to find an oat/herb I can feed him that I can find in the pet store as an alternative to ordering online because I simply can't afford that s/h.

The question I had was "since he was originally on pellets should I just swap to the regular pellets"?

And, just for fun, here's my shopping list for my baby.

PVC Pipe
Pellets
Timothy OR Alfalfa Cubes (for a treat)
Lava Bites
Bottle Water
Taller Play Pen (I have a small one)
Possible Play Pen Bottom
Rose Hips (Don't know where to get them)
Oats/Herb Food Source
Storage Bin For Hay
Storage Bin For Pellets
Tiles to create a cooling spot on the bottom of the cage. I will get the ones with the glue, to glue to the bottom of the cage, unless I can find ones that are very heavy.

mikasauntie

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Slowly Switching Food
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 04:09:33 PM »

Re:  the tiles...we stopped by one of the local granite/marble yards & asked to buy some samples.  We got lucky.  They had just dropped a big marble slab that broke into a ton of pieces just right for our chin cage & they gave me a couple of pieces for free.  Nice heavy thick pieces intended for countertops.  Of course they are set in a place that even the strongest rowdiest chin could not knock them down to a lower level.  And did I mention free?  Its worth asking!
KB

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 04:25:01 PM »

::silly::  True, the worst thing they can say is "No".

I got a good deal on 300 - 12" square natural marble tiles from China ... cherry blossom ... Normally it is $8 per piece, but I lucked out ... someone at the store ordered the wrong stuff ... and the customer didn't like it.  They are making great chin-chillers for my chins and I will have some for sale at the field day in October in SC.

Any good, safe and useable bargain you find, means that much more you will have left to get something else for your chin OR to add the money you would have spent, to the medical fund for your chin.   ::)

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chicosmama

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 07:59:38 PM »

I got a marble tile on, very large, for $5 buck! VERY COOL! And my chin loves it. Best of all, he can't chew on it lol.

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 06:21:16 AM »

We have some ceramic tiles but I think marble would be a bit cooler. Don't forget to bring your marble tiles to the show, Jo Ann- I'm sure my chins will thank you  ::nod::
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

chicosmama

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 08:45:48 AM »

::silly::  True, the worst thing they can say is "No".

I got a good deal on 300 - 12" square natural marble tiles from China ... cherry blossom ... Normally it is $8 per piece, but I lucked out ... someone at the store ordered the wrong stuff ... and the customer didn't like it.  They are making great chin-chillers for my chins and I will have some for sale at the field day in October in SC.

Any good, safe and useable bargain you find, means that much more you will have left to get something else for your chin OR to add the money you would have spent, to the medical fund for your chin.   ::)

Perhaps I can send you a m/o (or cash) for one and you can send it to me because I can't attend the field day. If they are a bit tinier, I need one for the top shelf behind his box. It'll be wedged in there so it can't move.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 09:57:49 AM »

I got a marble tile on, very large, for $5 buck! VERY COOL! And my chin loves it. Best of all, he can't chew on it lol.
Sometimes you luck out.   :::grins::  Sounds like you did.  Marble can come in many shapes and sizes and from many places/countries.

We have some ceramic tiles but I think marble would be a bit cooler. Don't forget to bring your marble tiles to the show, Jo Ann- I'm sure my chins will thank you  ::nod::
I'm planning on bringing several pieces, along with the calendars and a few other things.  I've never set up a sale table at a show, so this will be a new venture for me.   :)

Chico's Mom ... we can talk about that off line ... just send me a PM.   ::nod::  I'd also have to check out the shipping costs between you and me.  To bad you can't make it to the field day ... I'm even raffeling off some chins!

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chicosmama

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 12:40:52 PM »

Sometimes you luck out.   :::grins::  Sounds like you did.  Marble can come in many shapes and sizes and from many places/countries.

I'm planning on bringing several pieces, along with the calendars and a few other things.  I've never set up a sale table at a show, so this will be a new venture for me.   :)

Chico's Mom ... we can talk about that off line ... just send me a PM.   ::nod::  I'd also have to check out the shipping costs between you and me.  To bad you can't make it to the field day ... I'm even raffeling off some chins!

I sent you a personal e-mail, to your real email and not a PM. It takes 30-60 seconds for pages to load with my work computer.

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 04:03:09 PM »

Sounds good! Have fun getting things together. This show will be a lot of fun for everyone.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up