Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Exercise a Danger For Young Chins?  (Read 11164 times)

Nefarous

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Saris
    • View Profile
Exercise a Danger For Young Chins?
« on: August 27, 2007, 08:21:29 AM »

As a new owner, I have been searching for lots of info. This is a site I came across Davidson Chinchillas. I found the below quote and I bolded the parts that concern me. My Chin, Saris, is 3 mos old. I was wondering what the rest of you think of this quote. Thanks for your help.

Chinchilla Age & Exercise
It has been recommended that young chinchillas (under 6 months) are not exercised - this is because there seems to be a high correlation between hypoglacaemia fitting (fits due to lowered blood sugar levels) and juvenile chinchillas.
Personally I do not allow chinnies younger than 6 months to exercise outside their cage and after that age I allow them only short periods of time exercising - 5 minutes at a time and gradually build the time up over a period of months up to 30 minutes on cool/cold days. Once they reach 6 months, I allow them the same amount of exercise as my older chinchillas - this varies from individual to individual since some of my more "excitable" chinchillas have a tendency to run themselves ragged which is not beneficial to their long-term health.

Chinchillas who have reached what is considered an "older" age (8+) should also have their exercise restricted. In human terms, exercising a chinchilla over the age of 8 is a bit like asking your elderly grandparent to run a marathon (in a fur coat!). Gentle exercise is beneficial for older chinchillas but it should be approached with caution and restricted if necessary. Some older chinchillas will naturally pace themselves (and potter about sedately like my Monty)  but it has been known for older chinchillas to exercise themselves to exhaustion.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Exercise a Danger For Young Chins?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 01:54:29 PM »

I'm not sure about that in general, but can understand.
A lot depends on where you live, the climate and temps your used too.
Chins get used to things too.
I have a fat chin I can't let run for long when it's hot out, he will have a seizure.Though my chin room is much cooler.
I don't let babies run until they are 6 months old because they can get hurt in the chin room, and have.
I do let them run in a small space like on the stairs, but for the most part I handle them.
Chins are quite capable of getting enough excersise in their cage, and don't "need" to be let out to run free.
Some say they are safer in their cages, and just as happy.
Mind you I'm take them out on a harness, a big no no for most breeders and keepers.
Your the best judge on what your chin likes, needs and wants, when you get to know them that is.
So pay attention and they will let you know.
There is nothing wrong with letting them run, but I have seen some leave them out for hours. They can over do it.
The more freedom you give them the more they will get used to and get upset when they don't get it.
Keep a good routine what ever it is.
Debbie.nl.ca

ThreeLilChins

• Chinchilla Whisperers
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Three Lil' Chins
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 03:17:21 PM »

"Mind you I'm take them out on a harness, a big no no for most breeders and keepers." I would kinda like to see a pic of that. What kinda of harness do you use?

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 08:10:33 PM »

This is all my opinion, of course...  I have not done any research specifically on this topic...
I completely disagree with not allowing chinchillas under 6 months of age to exercise.  In humans, problems caused by hypoglycemia are commonly a result of diabetes.  In some cases, diabetes can be managed with diet and exercise alone.  I don't see why this would be terribly different in chinchillas.  If a chinchilla is not accustom to getting exercise (regardless of age) and they suddenly get over-stimulated with exercise, it can cause issues because the brain depends primarily on blood sugar for energy.  Hypoglycemia may then interfere with proper functioning of the brain and cause neurological symptoms, including seizures. Additionally, since the skeletal structure is still developing during the first six months of a chinchilla's life, exercise can help make the bones strong.  I would venture to say that, like humans and other animals, exercise helps with the over-all health of chinchillas and even assists in extending their lives.  Of course, a safe environment should always be provided for exercise, regardless of a chinchilla's age.

In regards to the last part of the quote:
Considering the fact that chinchillas can live to be over 20 years old, allowing (not asking) a chinchilla that is 8 years old exercise is like seeing a 40 year old man run a marathon.  It happens all the time.

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 03:08:54 PM »

I agree with ChinchillAZ, I think exercise can be a very healthy thing for a chin.  I don't think it is absolutely necessary, but is certainly not detrimental if done in a supervised and safe environment.  I let my chins out to play several times a week, and have not had any "over-exert" themselves yet.  Even my really fat one (I have tried and tried to put him on a diet, but no dice) likes to come out and run around a little.    And the babies really like the new toys and sights.  When I put them back a lot of times they get mad at me, or get right up on their wheels and keep running. 

Now, I could certainly see exercise being dangerous if the environment is not properly controlled temperature-wise.  It would be easy for a chin to overheat in that situation.  But in a temperature-controlled room I couldn't see there being a problem. 

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 05:45:03 PM »

I agree they need exercise, I just feel they are quite capable of getting enough in their cage to keep them healthy.
I could get enough in my house to keep me healthy. ;)
I don't even have wheeles in my cages, but they never stop ricochetinig around. I have loads to keep them busy.
I have myself been told by one the most well know chin folks they are safer in their cages. ::shrug::
I just couldn't imagine not letting them out every night, playing with them, and having them climb all over me.
But many never see the outside of a cage and live to be ripe old ages.

Mine love a trip to the feed store or too my daughters house.
The chin sits on my left shoulder while I'm driving, I carry the lead around my neck and down to my right hand.
I hold it against the wheel as I drive.
They don't move until I stop the van, well their little heads go side to side watching traffic go by.
Debbie.nl.ca

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 07:02:40 PM »

Wow, I couldn't imagine my chins being able to take a trip like that! Maybe with time. Do they do good on the harness? It probably took a while for them to get used to. That is neat.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »

Debbie:  I'm not saying that out-of-cage exercise is a MUST...  I just disagree that it's a danger, as the quote said.   :)

Nefarous

• Saris
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 07:30:52 PM »

Thanks for the excellent responses! I completely agree that exercise is a must for any creature to keep healthy. I exercise my chinny in the kitchen, as there is NO wires, and she can't fit behind or under the large appliances like the fridge. We made sure of that.  Plus its a pretty big space.

Our AC is in the living room (which is where her cage is) and is right beside the kitchen. The kitchen is not hot in the evenings, but we wouldn't let her run about if its warm anyway. Still have to pick up some sort of thermometer tho. The right temp for chins is not above 25°C (77°F) right?

Question regarding the harness
- I read that CHins have fragile bone structures and than a harness would easily fracture a rib. This must not be so, if you can use a harness with yous than. I have found so much contradicting info. *sighs*

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 08:51:38 PM »

For safety purposes to avoid over-heating, I recommend keeping temperatures between 45º and 75º F with low humidity. (That's 7º and 24º C.)

Question regarding the harness - I read that CHins have fragile bone structures and than a harness would easily fracture a rib. This must not be so, if you can use a harness with yous than. I have found so much contradicting info. *sighs*

You honestly will always hear conflicting information regarding this topic.  I personally would not attempt to use a harness with my chinchillas.  That is a personal choice that I make for my animals.  You'll notice that Debbie mentioned that most breeders and keepers disagree with the use of the harness.

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 10:16:20 AM »

Nefarous,

I totally understand your frustration.  There is a lot of contradictory info out there.  And a lot of debate about how chins should be raised.  We all have our own opinions and ways of doing things, an most of the time these issues come down to a matter of personal preference.  And I think a lot has to do with your chin and how it was raised.  Debbie's chins probably have grown up with the harnesses (Debbie, please correct me if I'm wrong) and so are used to it.  But if you took a chin that was less well-socialized and tried to harness it you might end up with an injured animal on your hands. 

I guess my point is you have to do things in a way that you are comfortable with and raise your animals the way that seems best to you.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 12:23:27 PM »

For the most part no it's not dangerous to give a chin excersise, no matter what the age. Unless other indications tell a different story it's alway a good thing. ::nod::

As for harnessing I just did it with my first when I got him, how else was I going to take him out I thought? I start with a pouch until he got big enough for the harness.
Never had an injury with one yet.I must have and do use it with 20 plus chins.
I never use with breeding females, I would worry about the tummy strap.
All my males will use it and some of the non breeding females.
Most of the folks around here use one.
I even have rescues that were 5 when I got them and they use it.

I feel more comfy with the harness than the comb. :blush2:
Had one brake his leg while grooming, my first Pokie, but have never had a hitch with him in his almost 9 years with a harness.
They can even let me know who wants to go out and who don't.
I go cage to cage with the harness, and see who comes.
If they are not in the mood they'll bark or back away.
My problem is I can only take one at a time.
Have tried 2 but the tangle of leads as they try to play with each other makes it impossible. :wildeyes:
Much has to do with what they get used too.
I am a very calm laid back person with more than my share of patience, and my chins seem to be that way as well.
 They put up with me. ::dancingspot::

Oh and temps and humidity should not equal more than 150.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 12:26:25 PM by Debbie.nl.ca »
Debbie.nl.ca

Claire D

• Chinchilla Slave
    • View Profile
    • Davidson Chinchillas
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 03:33:28 PM »

As a new owner, I have been searching for lots of info. This is a site I came across Davidson Chinchillas. I found the below quote and I bolded the parts that concern me. My Chin, Saris, is 3 mos old. I was wondering what the rest of you think of this quote. Thanks for your help.

As the writer of the article and owner of the website I would like to respond if I may?  :)

I have not suggested that exercising chinchillas is "dangerous" - what I am suggesting is that exercising both young and old (chinchillas are regularly living longer it is true but many people agree that a chin is classed as "old" when it hits 8+ ) should be done carefully, respecting the physiology of the animals concerned.
There does seem to be a direct correlation between exercising young chinchillas (i.e. those under 6 months) and fitting due to hypoglycaemia and/or over exertion. A trawl through the UK chinchilla forums does tend to substantiate this along with the experience of chinchilla breeders and keepers (again, in the UK). You will find many breeders and keepers advocate exactly the same regimen for exercise.
Some people exercise their chinchillas for hours with no problems; some try exercising their chinchillas for a short period of time and their animal promptly has a fit - unfortunately this is something which is seen on the forums regularly. 

I guess this situation is similar to the way you will find that in the UK we do not wean chinchilla kits until they are at least 8 weeks old and we do not sell until the kits are at least 12 weeks old - this is longer than the times given in the US - each method is valid and I am sure both approaches to kit rearing could be discussed with equal passion.

The articles on my website are there for information from my own perspective/knowledge/discussions and are not necessarily indicative of everyone's way of chinchilla keeping - some people will agree with it and some will not which is absolutely fine. :)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 05:46:54 PM »

Thanks for sharing Claire, and I'm sure you've heard all of the disputes by now. ;)
I haven't seen problems with such in my small herd except for my fat boy.
I don't let them run free for more than 30 minutes, never have.Most nights less, but they get out in hand & heart.
And if it's over 70 they just don't get out at all.
But it's a tad different for everyone.
The improtant thing is we alll have our chinchillas best interests at heart. It's only by sharing that we can prepare ourselves for anything, and then we still can't.
I understand your concerns, and do agree using the word "dangerous" got a few alarms going off.
Then some folks sure need a good shake sometimes to get it :doh:, so I see the need for strong wording.
We mean no harm, just a friendly debate on your artical.
I hope you take it in the heart that's it spoke, and the love of our chins.

I have seen folks let chins run free in a room for hours, and wonder why it was having seizures. This one died before it was 3.
I have many that go right back to their cage after just a good romp around the room.
That's all they want, while others would run themselves ragged.
Most everything that's written is just a general rule, the chins sure have their own ideas.
Thanks for your points of view, all are welcome.
So have you ever harnessed a chin?
 ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

Claire D

• Chinchilla Slave
    • View Profile
    • Davidson Chinchillas
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 01:49:36 AM »

Thanks for sharing Claire, and I'm sure you've heard all of the disputes by now. ;)
I haven't seen problems with such in my small herd except for my fat boy.
I don't let them run free for more than 30 minutes, never have.Most nights less, but they get out in hand & heart.
And if it's over 70 they just don't get out at all.
But it's a tad different for everyone.
Yes I totally agree with you - I have personally experienced both extremes when it comes to exercising chinchillas. I had one chin who would fit after being out of his cage for less than 5 minutes and others who could be out all night and would never over-exert themselves. I have "couch potato" chins and "tazmanian devil" chins. rofl  All of them are individuals and their exercise is tailored to their different needs, ages, physiologies etc.
What is tragic is when someone comes onto the forums and posts that their chin is "flat" (i.e lying on it's side, not responding, continuously twitching) after an exercise induced fit and despite all intervention dies - that, to me, is a totally unnecessary death. If providing a cautionary article makes people reconsider letting their chins out for hours or youngsters or oldies over-exert themselves and it prevents even one death, then I'm a happy bunny.  :)

The improtant thing is we alll have our chinchillas best interests at heart. It's only by sharing that we can prepare ourselves for anything, and then we still can't.
I understand your concerns, and do agree using the word "dangerous" got a few alarms going off.
Then some folks sure need a good shake sometimes to get it :doh:, so I see the need for strong wording.
We mean no harm, just a friendly debate on your artical.
I hope you take it in the heart that's it spoke, and the love of our chins.
Again, I totally agree :) I am more than happy for my website/articles to provoke discussion - for me, that's what the website is there for and we're all earning all the time. Just when you think you know something about chinchillas, one of them goes and does something which makes you question what you thought you knew!  ;D

I have seen folks let chins run free in a room for hours, and wonder why it was having seizures. This one died before it was 3.
I have many that go right back to their cage after just a good romp around the room.
That's all they want, while others would run themselves ragged.
Most everything that's written is just a general rule, the chins sure have their own ideas.
Thanks for your points of view, all are welcome.
So have you ever harnessed a chin?
 ;)
Yes, we see time and again people coming onto the forums and sharing that their chinchilla has regular fits during or just after exercise - when you ask how hot the room was, how long, whether their ears were red etc the story usually unfolds in a similar manner to the scenario you have described - out for hours and running until they drop. :-[  Or they are youngsters - we see more posts about them than older chins - hypoglycaemic fits associated with exercise are the most common fitting problems we see - hence my first paragraph in the article.  ::shrug::

Nope, never harnessed a chin. If you posted that you harnessed chins on a UK forum there would be an outcry - it's not "the done thing" here at all. ;)  Nor is taking your chinchilla out with you or letting them roam about your garden.  ::shrug:: The differences between countries in their husbandry of chinchillas is fascinating.  ::nod::
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up