Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Young Female Pregnant?  (Read 3165 times)

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
Young Female Pregnant?
« on: July 10, 2007, 11:49:55 AM »

Hi All,

:) I have missed everyone!  Things have been beyond nuts here with the great dane puppy we got a few months ago.  :'(  He was very sick when we got him and he has required alot of medical care & surgery costing us roughly  $5,000-$6,000 now.  It has been tough. 
 :( My daughter has had Mono for one month now and is still fighting it.  Not to mention I have been through my own brief illness, but I am OK now!
But I am going to try and be back on now at least some.

Anywho, my question............
What is the approx. age a female chin can conceive?  I took in 4 chinchillas recently and the owners housed them all in the same cage.  Mom & dad and 2 kits (1 male & 1 female) that are 4 months old.  They were born in March sometime. 
I put the guys in their own cage the day I got them!
Just wanted to know if anyone has ever seen a 4 month old female get pregnant.  I know there is a good chance momma could be pregnant also.
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Young Female Pregnant?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 01:13:23 PM »

Hi Joyce, welcome back!!  Each chinchilla is different as to when they come into season for the first time.  I have heard other breeders say they have seen it as early at 3 months old so there is a possibility that your girl could be pregnant.  Hopefully not though.  And the bad thing is if Mom is pregnant you won't know if its Dad or son because he is certainly capable of breeding at 4 months old.  I learned that first hand here when I had a little male break his leg and we had to amputate.  He was getting beat up by his brother so I gave him to another female to keep him company.  She was not in breeding at the time.  They bonded so well that I left them together.  Even with only one back leg he managed to get her pregnant before his 4 month birthday!!

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 01:22:26 PM »

;) Hi Jamie!!!  Thanks, we need to keep a close eye on this little girl.  Of course and momma too.  Momma chin has had 3 litters in a 2 year period of time.  Her owners told me she had one litter every 6 months.  She and her daughter are now in a cage of their own and momma has been officially taken out of breeding for good.  Time she had a break.  She seems very healthy and is a good eater & drinker.  She is small though and really looks very young herself.  We weighed her last night, 625 grams.  She is a gorgeous wilson white with a nice coat.
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 11:32:19 PM »

Yea, you have made the right decision about giving her a break...geez poor thing is a kit machine..lol....as far as the young female I would take her to the vet ASAP to find out if she is pregnant or not.  If she is then this could be severely dangerous as I am sure you know.  I too just made an adoption of 6 chinchillas about 6 and a half hours away from me because their owner decided to move to a place that didnt have air conditioning. It wasnt until she lost 2 others she called me for help. this is my first adoption, and I am sure you know what I am feeling when it comes to not knowing the conditions of the chins.  It is hard not knowing what is going on with these poor chinnies, and now we are required to make all the right decisions for them, even hard ones.  One of the six I rescued had had a seizure from being in such hot conditions and the previous owner did not say anything to me until I asked her about it, because is was leaning to one side. Luckly with meds he is back to tip top shape.  The other standard female I discovered and posted about on here had no front teeth. The previous owner lacked to tell me this information.  I am glad I got to these chinnies because they would have surely died, but it is hard not knowing a lot about them aside from their ped's.  Good luck with these new chins and luckly you got to them before heavy interbreeding started. (what goes through some peoples minds when they purchase exotic animals, common sense would tell you not to house families together like that even without knowing a lot). Hopefully the young female is not pregnant, and everything will be ok..  Again GoodLuck and I pray all goes well.... :::grins::

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 02:35:28 PM »

Hi Joyce,
Geez sounds like my world, and I'll fill ye all in when I get a little more caught up.
Aww the poor darlings, I sure hope the 4 month is not. I've seen the results of a small pelvis.
I'll be watching for updates.
Debbie.nl.ca

null

• Salty Cracker
  • Appreciation points: 1
  • Humping the shoe that feeds
    • View Profile
    • Three Rivers Chinchilla
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 03:32:23 PM »

They can definitly start at three months. I just had one go into heat last night that was born in late April.
Pages: [1]   Go Up