Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breeding weights???  (Read 2527 times)

QTPie61282

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • For The Love of Chinchillas
Breeding weights???
« on: July 02, 2007, 06:25:04 PM »

Ok, so I was planning on putting one of my med ebony females with my med ebony male.
She has had 2 litters in the past with another male, the last litter is 5 weeks now, so she is still nursing.

I finally weighed my male because he is so stubborn with the scale, he weighs a whopping 972 grams.  And when I weighed her today she was only 594 grams.
I realize she has a lot to gain back from nursing and what not, but how much do they usually gain back once they are finished?

What would be a safe weight for her to breed with this male?  When she wasnt pregnant she looked to be a good size, not as plump as him, but close size wise.
What do you all think??
~Jen~

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Breeding weights???
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 02:04:45 PM »

I'd give her a break and let her miss a season at least.
Get her weight up to over 600 grams.I don't breed females much under 700.
Nice size male but she needs some TLC before she goes back into breeding. ::kiss99::
Debbie.nl.ca

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
Re: Breeding weights???
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 09:25:15 PM »

Yea, really it depends on her weight before if her normal weight was 600 g's then wait until she gets back to her normal weight....its not just the weight you have to look at but also her calcium....check her teeth a lot...make sure they stay a nice orange color....if they are fading you need to give her something with calcium such as calf manna or tums with calcium...I give all my chins a tiny piece of tums daily like a vitamin to keep their calcium up that is most important in healthy breeding females....after you breed back once you deffinitly want to give her a break for a season or even 2 depending on her health....she could be 900 g's and still not have good calcium which can affect her and the development of her kits
Pages: [1]   Go Up