Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sticky fur  (Read 3338 times)

marrria

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
sticky fur
« on: June 21, 2007, 11:42:58 PM »

My vet prescribed some medicine for one of my chins and we have been giving it to him for the past 10 days.  The new problem is that it is sometimes difficult to get him to take it and invariably a little bit of the medicine ends up on his fur.  The medicine is sticky and he has been pulling at his fur to get the medicine off, and now he has a little bald patch on the side of his nose and some loose fur around his face. 

My question is, what is the best way to get the sticky stuff off of him?  Should I dampen a towel and wipe his face?  Will his fur grow back?  Is there anything else I should do to help his fur grow back the way it was before?

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
Re: sticky fur
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 02:42:54 AM »

Thats the beauty of chinchilla fur it always grows back and fairly quickly..we all have to go through the med stage and its not always pleasant....dont worry about the fur it will grown back...but how are you giving him his meds are you holding him and giving it to him...if its in a dropper hold him fairly close have someone help you and one of you hold him and act like you are ging to check his teeth pull back his mouth a little bit then have the other person just quickly stick the dropper in his mouth...if he is spitting it out give it to him in half doses at a time...this should help reduce the mess...but when all else fails his fur will grow back...but it is probably bothering him and stressing him out to have it on his face....although chins are not big fans of water....a damp paper towel to whipe his face wont hurt him just make sure it is rung out good and then pat dry...

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 06:28:36 AM »

Are you giving him an antibiotic?  If so, don't forget the yogurt between does to keep him digestive system healthy.  Moist towels or baby wipes work well for cleaning.  We keep baby wipes in the chin room for this purpose.  Right now I have a set of white kits that manage to get yellow urine all over their fur.  The baby wipes and a few dust baths fix it all up.

Chinchilla hair usually starts poking back through within a day or two.  Its very small but you can usually feel the stubble.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

marrria

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 07:46:23 AM »

I haven't been giving him yogurt - I hadn't heard of that before.  I will get him some today and start that.  What kind of yogurt do I give him?  (Do I just get plain yogurt from the grocery store?)  How much yogurt should I give him each day?

About the baby wipes - what kind do you use?  I'm so leary of any chemicals around the chins, so it would be good to know which ones are safe. 

Thanks! :blush2:

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 05:08:57 PM »

Plain vanilla yogurt or something fruity as long as its low in sugar....give your chin ACTIVA...Dannon makes it and its a digestive regulator and it fairly low in sugar...a small syringe or dropper full is plenty enough...as far as baby whipes just the plain basic non sented whipes...perferably sensative skin ones they tend to be very light
Pages: [1]   Go Up