Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Behavior Change  (Read 20114 times)

sashasmommy

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Behavior Change
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 07:50:42 PM »

How do you feed the yogurt to them? On a spoon or what???
5 Chinnies- Sasha, Star, Stevie, Stuart, Baby
1 Dog- Sierra
1 Hampster- Lightning
2 Kids- Lauryn, Ashton

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 08:54:31 AM »

Sometimes you can give it to them on a spoon and they will lick it up, others will only take it from a feeding syringe.  I have had a few that I had to almost force feed the first taste to them (I guess it doesn't smell like something they want) but once they taste it they practically wrestle the syringe away from me

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 03:00:53 PM »

I just read the original topic, and must say I think it's because there are two chinchillas.  They don't need you for love, because they have each other.  Oddly , I thought having two would be better (it works with the cats that they're not quite as needy at the end of the day), but I think it's just made it so that I have more poop in the living room!   rofl 

I've had my girls for 11 months.  I cannot hold them or pet them.  I can touch them,but they don't like it.  I"ve done all the recommended things, and they just don't need me unless i have a raisin  :::grins::  They were older when I got them from the pet store, and I recognize the headway I've made, but after a year I don't think I"ll get further.  YOu could separate the two, but I"ve read it can be hard to reintroduce them.  Most likely your little abondoned one needed some love which is why she was affectionate at first, and is now getting it from her new freind who speaks the same language. 

SF

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 06:24:47 PM »

Sure, you COULD separate the two, but wouldn't that be a little cruel? To separate best friends in hopes that they'll love you more as a result of needing more affection? Not to mention, you could send the both of them into depression for it. Probably not the best idea. I'd say give them more time for adjustment and stick to routines. And maybe have separate play times?

Also, a side note: while there are plenty of people who could make the foolish and/or heartless decision to release a chinchilla, there are other possibilities. Perhaps a child accidentally let him out (or wanted to "set it free"), or maybe he escaped his cage and went out an open door/window. Especially if the little fella was in obvious ill-health, he could have traveled a good distance from home. Why assume the worst in people, just because it is an easy conclusion to make and we feel sorry for the victim? Just a thought.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 06:34:44 PM »

::silly::  There have been several really good responces.  You are very lucky your two chins like each other.  ::nod::  Most chins will get along with each other, but, there are a few that won't get along.  Each chinchilla has it's own special personality.  With chinchillas, same as with humans, personalities can clash. 

I would take them out together for play time, lay in the floor (very still) and let the chins come to investigate you (they are curious creatures).  After they have played for a while, put one chin up and keep the other one out for some one-on-one play.  Then bring the first one back out for a little while and play together again.  Then, put up the one that has been out the most and play with the other one.  This way, you are showing both that they are both wanted and loved and that you will allow them to play together, but that you also want to have a 'special time' with each of them individually also.     :::grins:: 

If you will make sure you stop and talk to them, regardless how briefly it may be and/or call them by name and say "Hi" or "Bye" each time you enter or leave the room ... you'll be surprised how much they pay attention to something that simple.   :::grins::   Keep communications open!  I have over 100 chins, but many will stick their little noses through the wires to get me to rub their noses and talk to them for a few seconds.  I have some that dance for me and others that do flips for me ... all are vying for a bit of attention.   ::nod::

SF, true, he could have gotten out by accident, but with no one answering the adds or posts, it is more likely that it was just let out and left ... such is done with many cats and dogs.   :'(    Many people have no idea that chinchillas can not live in the out-of-doors due to the weather we have here and in many places. 

::wave::   Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chinchillin527

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 07:41:03 PM »

Hi Jo Ann,

I've also come to a similar problem with my chin. I just got him from a breeder September 6th and he just turned 2 months yesterday :) I take him out to play in my bathroom so we can bond. I heard to sit in your bathtub with your chinchilla helps you bond? But it only made him stress so i let him run around on the bathroom floor and he absolutely loves it! rofl He's extremely shy though and since hes so young i want him to be able to get used to me and start trusting me. What is the BEST way for him to form a bond with me? WHat can i do that you suggest for him to start trusting me and love me and not nibble at my hand at times? Please help ??? I feel like im doing a horrible job or something :doh: ::shrug::

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 04:57:12 PM »

Thank you for saving her.  Here in Jersey, motorists target anything in the road that moves :::((( 
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

jaime_riri

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 08:09:48 PM »

It almost sounds like she had what I call "shelter syndrome". I've seen many cats come in to our spca as strays in bad shape and they would be so grateful and affectionate because of the trauma they'd endured. But some of them would realize after a while that they were safe and would be fed so their shock wore off and their true personality began to show through. And sometimes it turned out they were not actually affectionate or interested in people.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up