Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla odd behavior  (Read 2804 times)

shadowborne

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Chinchilla odd behavior
« on: June 14, 2007, 11:24:28 PM »

ALright this isn't normal, I was giving Silver her nightly treat and she was chewing it when she stopped and her body jumped a bit and she would give out 4 or 5 whines, she did it 2 or 3 times and then went back to the normal "Give me more treats!" look. I can't find the sound she made or any description anywhere so figured I would post here. Might be best in another forum but it is somewhat of a question.

Has anyone heard of that before? She did it 3 times, sort of looked like hiccups like my hamsters get, only with 4 or 5 short whines. She seems to be breathing fine, is as active as ever, a super healthy appetite, drinks plenty of water. Am I being overly cautious or should I really be concerned?

Thanks

EDIT: Alright update to the sound, I actually found a site that has the closest.'

Sound #5
Two barks is the "alert the herd" noise chinchillas make when stressed or frightened.
http://www.chin.buffnet.net/users/lori/twobarks.wav

But she sits there then jumped a bit like she has hiccups, like I said from watching the hamsters, and then she makes the noises. Did it 3 times in a row before stopping. Is it hiccups, could she have a problem, or am I just being to cautious about her?

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 11:32:44 PM by shadowborne »

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Re: Chinchilla odd behavior
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 02:37:33 AM »

Cheech has actually done that too. They sort of 'jump' when they bark but sometimes they jump without the bark.

shadowborne

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 11:04:25 AM »

Alright, makes me feel quite a bit better. It was like she had hiccups and then didn't know what it was. I can say one thing, she is very loud when she voices something. I was on the third floor when she did it a second time last night and heard her loud and clear, parents wondered what the noise was. I went down and picked her up giving her a little hug and some treats and she went back to sleep happy.

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 10:16:14 PM »

I have one chin that does that...she eats so fast weither its her food or a treat...she is a little piggy...I think she scares herself from eatting to fast...and does the little alert....chins do that alert to relieve stress it calms them down when they are all worked up...
Pages: [1]   Go Up