Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kit Weight Questions  (Read 2435 times)

QTPie61282

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • For The Love of Chinchillas
Kit Weight Questions
« on: June 10, 2007, 11:09:50 PM »

Ok, so as many of you know my Kiwi had her quads.  The one runt passed away. 
At birth the runt obviously weighed the least amount.  The two white ones weighed the same and teh standard weighed way more than all of them.

As they have been getting older the Pink white one weighed more than the pink white one, with the beige markings.
Now, at 3 weeks old.  The pink white with beige markings has completely passed his twin brother in weight.
He weighs 102 grams now, and the all White one who once weighed significantly more, now weighs only 84 grams.  But he gains weight everyday.  Just not as much as the other two.  The standard is at a whopping 150 grams already!!

I didnt know if this meant dwarfism?  Or if he is just a slow developer?  He seems very healthy and very energetic.  Gets enough time with mom, and is eating the hay, and starting to eat the pellets normally.
I even have the Animax supplement in there that they love.
He wont let me feed him the NutriCal, none of them like it.  Only my adults like it really.

Any suggestions or thoughts??

~Jen~

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Kit Weight Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 06:34:01 AM »

::silly::    Standard grays are often the largest and has the best genes, normally.  Any mutation color (as a rule) is smaller than a standard gray and the genes are a little weaker due to breeding. 
     Many times I have seen the runt pass the largest kit in a litter ... if it is a fighter, it will do so.
     One of Gidget's kits ... the fifth one in the litter ... I had to give CPR to, ended up being the biggest of her kits.  She was a real fighter, when it came time to eat.  She stayed under mom constantly.
     With all this being said the 84 to 105 to 150 gram spread between the three kits is sending up a flag.  I would make sure the smallest one gets extra time with mom ... you may not see them fight, but if one of the larger ones put fear in it early on ... it could be still settling for "whatever is left over" rather than fight.  I'd take the larger two out and let them have play time, while the little one gets to nurse for about an hour ... then the middle one back in, and last but not least, put the larger one back in with mom.    I would do this several times a day.  You should be able to see the smaller one begining catching up in about a week.
     Also, on a more cautious note ... sometimes, if one is not developed completely or quite right, their weight seems to 'stalemate'.  I would keep this little one and watch her till she is at least a year old.  If there are internal problems, they should appear before the end of the first year.  If it dies suddenly and with no apparent reason to do so ... you will know that there has been an internal problem from the beginning and not something you might have done wrong at the time.

:)  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

QTPie61282

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 05:34:32 PM »

Ok Thank you , I will keep an eye on him.  Anything I can supplement him with while Im doing the other thing.  Just to cover my butt. 
Can I still do the goats milk?
~Jen~

QTPie61282

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 09:58:30 PM »

I gave the lightest baby alone time with mom. 2 hours I had to bc I was away for a little bit.  But he is eating like a champ when hes alone.
I weighed them all today, he was 91 grams, the next white one was 104 grams and the standard was 141 grams.
When I said she was 150 the other day, I was rounding but she practically is!!!

I will give him some more alone time with mom tomorrow.  I gave them lots of hay tonight and their oat and animax supplements.
~Jen~
Pages: [1]   Go Up