Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nipples - Probably the weirdest question I've had to ask.  (Read 4533 times)

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Nipples - Probably the weirdest question I've had to ask.
« on: May 23, 2007, 10:09:16 AM »

Well we're still not entirely sure of Cheech's gender. We always assumed he was a male but if so his genitals are close together so it's a little hard to tell. He loves his belly being tickled and sometimes I feel a little lump which I thought was just a matt of fur, so today while he was snoozing after his exercise I stroked his belly and parted the fur where I felt the lump. And this is where I show my ignorance. I found what I think was a nipple. Just under half a centimetre long and quite thin. I was worried it might be a growth but after doing a little research on the internet it seems to be in the right place for a nipple, but he got annoyed with me messing with him and I haven't checked for any more yet.

So this is where I get quite embarrassed to ask the question. Can I assume what I found is his nipple? Do males have them as well as females or are male's much smaller? One I don't want to start worrying this is abnormal and two I was wondering if it's any way to identify his sex.

Thank you.  :blush2:

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Nipples - Probably the weirdest question I've had to ask.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 07:02:29 AM »

That is a great question!! Who's to say for sure in all of that hair!  I want to say that only females have them, however, now that I think about it I guess most male mammals have some noticable spot where the nipples would be, don't they?   They are more toward the sides of the body, on a chinchilla, than you might think.  When I stand my girls up on their back feet and run my hand down their bellies the nipples are sort of inline with the "armpit" area.  There are several on each side.  Nipples are very thin nubs on non breeding females and many times very hard to find.

One way to be sure if you found a nipple is to see if you can find another one in the same place on the other side if Cheech's belly.

But, the easiest way tsex him is to take a good look at the genitals. If he is 6 months old or older there really isn't any guess work.  Place your finger under what you think is his penis and gently lift up towards his head (away from his bum).   If you can lift it and if you can see skin between that and his anus he is certainly a male.  By this age, if Cheech is a female you will be able to see that there is no skin between the two and a slit for the vaginal opening will be present.

It can be tricky sometimes where they are younger but by 6 months one quick glance is all you need because its an obvious difference.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 07:28:03 AM »

::silly::Got me stumped.    ::confused::

I   :::idea:::  I'd be smart and go check a couple of males and females that have not been in breeding yet,   
but are adults ...   ::think::
guess what ...   ::shrug::
I couldn't find any on any of the four ...
                                           male or female.   :doh:

Oh, for the mysteries of life.  Gonna have to keep searching.   :blush2:

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 03:58:44 PM »

Thank you.  :::grins::
I felt so awkward asking!
We still think he's a male because there is no slit but they're very close together. He's 15 months old now but he's still a little wary of people fiddling with him (we got him at 8 months). He hates being picked up but at the same time he will come and sit in your lap or shoulder, run all over you and let you tickle him for half an hour or until your arm gets tired. He'll get on top of his house and lie upside down and that's when I can get a look. So I'll have to wait for him to choose to lie there before I check on the other side. :)
I'm quite interested to know. I know with dog, males have them like you said, but they're smaller. Hehe, you've sparked my interest too.

KCchins

• Kansas City Chinchillas
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 08:37:41 AM »

Male chins have nipples.
One thing you might want to try in sexing your male is looking for testicles.  They can be found on each side of his anus.  They are normally not very close to the anus. If your chin is warm the testicles should expose themselves in order to cool.  So check for them after he has been out to play for a while.
---Cathy

I have chins available.
e-mail me KCchins@msn.com if interested.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 09:16:50 AM »

Talk about embarrassing,
Try pulling back the foreskin.
If it's a female it won't, if it's male it will go all the way back.A long way back  :D, oh and check for a hair ring while your at it.
I remember not being able to see the differacne myself. Having both to compare makes it a lot easier.
It's one of those things when you get it you get it,and will have no problems telling in the future. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

Abby W.

• View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 09:50:45 AM »

Oh yes!  The first time I had to check a male for a hair ring, I thought my husband was going to faint!  He was like "you want me to help you do what?!!!!"  :2funny:
Pages: [1]   Go Up