Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Chinchilla Crying  (Read 2613 times)

yayamag

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New Chinchilla Crying
« on: May 06, 2007, 10:26:59 PM »

I just got my baby boy today. But everytime i even go near him he starts to make this weird shrieking noise that kinda sounds like hiccups only a lot worse. I have only been able to touch him once without him doing this.

When I got my little girl I was able to carry her right away, and she was affectionate from the begginning. Is this normal? Is it just that I got my girl from a breeder that handled her more often? SHould I just give him more time or is there something wrong with him?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: New Chinchilla Crying
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 03:58:09 AM »

::silly::Check out Michael's Chinchilla Home Page at: http://www.chinchilla-sounds.de/index_en.htm ... his is the best I have found for chinchilla sounds and meanings.  This may give you an idea of what the chin in feeling.

More than likely, because he is new to you, he is frightened in his new home.  Think how you would feel if a giant as big as a house came and took you away to a strange place.  Sometimes it takes a little longer for some chins to adjust than it does other chins.  All chinchillas have their own personalities and ways of accepting or not accepting things.  You just have two chins that are very different.

You mentioned your female chin and now you have a male chin ... how old are each of them?  Do you have them caged together or separately?

Is it just that I got my girl from a breeder that handled her more often? Should I just give him more time or is there something wrong with him?

You are very lucky the girl took to you from the very beginning ... it usually takes a little time for them to adjust.  Her breeder handling her often probably helped the situation.

It will probably take the male a little longer to adjust.  He may just be frightened or maybe someone hurt him when he was little.  Where did you get your male?  From a breeder or a pet store?

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

yayamag

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: New Chinchilla Crying
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 04:32:02 PM »

No I have them caged seperately. I am going to let him bond with me before I start the process of trying to cage them together. He is 6 months and she is a little over 10 months old.
Pages: [1]   Go Up